Re: VIM and Leopard

  • Tim Stebbing
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 30, 2007
      when I type 'leopard' into google I get 'Apple - Mac OS X Leopard' as
      the first hit, leopard is the new release of OSX, as this channel was
      very recently the macvim channel (bram merged us across, some people
      might not have picked up on this yet) I can see why he figured
      everyone would know what leopard was. Google takes 5 sec to answer
      your question, this thread has already wasted everyones time.

      --
      Timothy J Stebbing

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 30, 2007
        Tim Stebbing wrote:
        > when I type 'leopard' into google I get 'Apple - Mac OS X Leopard' as
        > the first hit, leopard is the new release of OSX, as this channel was
        > very recently the macvim channel (bram merged us across, some people
        > might not have picked up on this yet) I can see why he figured
        > everyone would know what leopard was. Google takes 5 sec to answer
        > your question, this thread has already wasted everyones time.

        Thanks for a responsive answer, at last.

        As for merging vim-mac and vim-multibyte, I didn't know; it wasn't announced
        at vim-multibyte, and this group still bears the name vim_multibyte (not
        vim_mac), as anyone could see by just looking at his mail headers.

        I happen to be on Linux (formerly on Windows) and to have an interest in
        multibyte encodings such as UTF-8. I was even asked, some years ago, to write
        the chapter of the Vim FAQ concerning Unicode. OTOH I never had a Mac and I
        have only extremely spotty confining to nonexistent notions of anything which
        concerns the Mac. I think this explains why I was subscribed to vim-multibyte
        but not to vim-mac, as long as these lists were distinct.

        Sorry for wasting your time.

        "The last time somebody said, `I find I can write much better with a
        word processor.', I replied, `They used to say the same thing about
        drugs.'
        -- Roy Blount, Jr.

      • Tim Stebbing
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 30, 2007
          I'm still unsure why the lists got merged :/

          --
          Timothy J Stebbing

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 30, 2007
            Tim Stebbing wrote:
            > I'm still unsure why the lists got merged :/

            So do I. They don't seem (to me) to have much in common. If there was a reason
            for discontinuing vim-mac, I would have expected it to be taken over by
            vim-dev; or if vim-multibyte, by vim-use.

            101. U can read htis w/o ny porblm and cant figur eout Y its evn listd.

          • Nico Weber
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
              Hi,

              > I'm still unsure why the lists got merged :/

              there's still a pretty active vim_mac list. Do you mean the people
              who were on vim-mac before the switch to googlegroups were added to
              vim-multibyte? I was in both of these lists and still am.

              Nico

            • Kenneth Reid Beesley
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                On 30 Oct 2007, at 18:10, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                >> Do you rant the same way when somebody just says Vista instead of
                >> Windows Vista ?
                >> Oh, and when you say Linux, you forgot to say GNU/Linux, which is the
                >> correct name
                >> btw ;-)
                >>
                >> David Morel
                >
                > It was not a rant, but a genuine request for information. So what _is_
                > Leopard? You didn't say, and I'm curious.

                "Leopard" is the code name of the new Apple OS X version 10.5, which
                came out
                Friday 26 November.

                So we Mac people are busily testing what does and does not work in
                Leopard.

                Ken

              • José Pinheiro Neta
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007

                  Hi,
                  anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works okay, I mean compilation process and so on?

                  Compilation!

                  You just have to type on your shell:

                  $ vim --version

                  And the result is:

                  VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Oct  5 2007 20:00:43)
                  Included patches: 234
                  Compiled by _mdnsresponder@...
                  Normal version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
                  -arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
                  -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
                  +cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
                  -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
                  +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist
                   -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
                  +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
                  -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
                  -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -profile
                  -python +quickfix +reltime -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind -signs +smartindent
                  -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
                  -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
                  +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace
                  +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
                  -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
                     system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
                       user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
                        user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
                    fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
                  Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -arch i386 -arch ppc -g -Os -pipe -mdynamic-no-pic -arch i386 -arch ppc -pipe
                  Linking:
                  gcc   -arch i386 -arch ppc             -o vim       -lncurses  -liconv

                  Anything wrong. BTW you can now work with tabs (APPLE + T) on your terminal.

                  Be good and go for it. Install Leopard. It's the best (cover flow, quick view ect . . . )

                  José

                • Nico Weber
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                    > Compilation!

                    If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim
                    ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.
                    I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.

                    Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

                    Nico

                  • Joseph Retzer
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                      Thanks Nico. Just to note, I'm using the current snapshot of MacVim on Leopard and have had no issues running from toolbar/applications. Also no problems running from terminal.
                      Joe

                      Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

                      > Compilation!

                      If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim
                      ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.
                      I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.

                      Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

                      Nico

                    • David Morel
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                        Le 31 oct. 07 à 22:35, Nico Weber a écrit :

                        >> Compilation!
                        >
                        > If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim
                        > ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.
                        > I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.

                        Both macvim and vim-cocoa work with Leopard, still I met issues
                        especially regarding key mappings etc.
                        For me, the best version is still the Carbon one, and this one is
                        especially handy:
                        http://slashpunt.org/vim/index.php?n=Main.Download

                        > Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

                        Same. How do you move a whole thread from one ml to another ?
                        Only kidding...

                        David Morel

                      • theno23
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                          On Oct 30, 9:27 pm, Krzysztof Maj <mkrz...@...> wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          > anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
                          > okay, I mean compilation process and so on?

                          I'm having problems,

                          I use the vi:set in comments thing, eg:

                          /* vi:set expandtab sts=4 sw=4: */

                          and that seems to have stopped working.

                          I've got a pretty extensively hacked ~/.vimrc file, so that may be at
                          fault. I've looked around on the web a fair bit, but I've not yet seen
                          a solution, or even an option that might have turned it off.

                          - Steve

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                            theno23 wrote:
                            > On Oct 30, 9:27 pm, Krzysztof Maj <mkrz...@...> wrote:
                            >> Hi,
                            >> anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
                            >> okay, I mean compilation process and so on?
                            >
                            > I'm having problems,
                            >
                            > I use the vi:set in comments thing, eg:
                            >
                            > /* vi:set expandtab sts=4 sw=4: */
                            >
                            > and that seems to have stopped working.
                            >
                            > I've got a pretty extensively hacked ~/.vimrc file, so that may be at
                            > fault. I've looked around on the web a fair bit, but I've not yet seen
                            > a solution, or even an option that might have turned it off.
                            >
                            > - Steve

                            Here's how to check it: Make the file with that line active, then type

                            :verbose set modeline? modelines? expandtab? sts? sw?

                            Vim should tell you the current values and where they were set.

                            See
                            :help modeline
                            :help 'modeline'
                            :help 'modelines'

                            "Jesus saves...but Gretzky gets the rebound!"
                            -- Daniel Hinojosa