VIM and Leopard

  • Krzysztof Maj
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 30, 2007
      Hi,
      anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
      okay, I mean compilation process and so on?

      All the best,
      --
      Krzysztof Maj, JNCIP-M/T
      I'm a M@c, are you still a PC?
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 30, 2007
        Krzysztof Maj wrote:
        > Hi,
        > anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
        > okay, I mean compilation process and so on?
        >
        > All the best,

        What is Leopard? Some OS, apparently; but for people who, like me, don't
        remember ever having heard the name, it's hard to tell whether it relates to
        Windows, Linux (and which distro?), MacOS, VMS, whatever. For some of these I
        could put you on the right track, for others some other people could, but if
        we're in the dark it's harder to formulate "sensible" help.

        Millihelen, adj:
        The amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

      • David Morel
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 30, 2007
          Le 30 oct. 07 à 23:54, Tony Mechelynck a écrit :

          > Krzysztof Maj wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >> anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
          >> okay, I mean compilation process and so on?
          >>
          >> All the best,

          7.1 works fine for me, just 1 minor glitch: mouse scroll works only
          after you
          click. But I didn't check on latest svn, and my version is probably a
          bit out
          dated (but who uses a mouse with vim?). I noticed text displays
          better, although
          I don't know why that would be... To sum it up, no real problem here.

          > What is Leopard? Some OS, apparently; but for people who, like me,
          > don't
          > remember ever having heard the name, it's hard to tell whether it
          > relates to
          > Windows, Linux (and which distro?), MacOS, VMS, whatever. For some
          > of these I
          > could put you on the right track, for others some other people
          > could, but if
          > we're in the dark it's harder to formulate "sensible" help.

          Do you rant the same way when somebody just says Vista instead of
          Windows Vista ?
          Oh, and when you say Linux, you forgot to say GNU/Linux, which is the
          correct name
          btw ;-)

          David Morel

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 30, 2007
            David Morel wrote:

            > Le 30 oct. 07 à 23:54, Tony Mechelynck a écrit :
            >
            >> Krzysztof Maj wrote:
            >>> Hi,
            >>> anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
            >>> okay, I mean compilation process and so on?
            >>>
            >>> All the best,
            >
            > 7.1 works fine for me, just 1 minor glitch: mouse scroll works only
            > after you
            > click. But I didn't check on latest svn, and my version is probably a
            > bit out
            > dated (but who uses a mouse with vim?). I noticed text displays
            > better, although
            > I don't know why that would be... To sum it up, no real problem here.
            >
            >> What is Leopard? Some OS, apparently; but for people who, like me,
            >> don't
            >> remember ever having heard the name, it's hard to tell whether it
            >> relates to
            >> Windows, Linux (and which distro?), MacOS, VMS, whatever. For some
            >> of these I
            >> could put you on the right track, for others some other people
            >> could, but if
            >> we're in the dark it's harder to formulate "sensible" help.
            >

            > Do you rant the same way when somebody just says Vista instead of
            > Windows Vista ?
            > Oh, and when you say Linux, you forgot to say GNU/Linux, which is the
            > correct name
            > btw ;-)
            >
            > David Morel

            It was not a rant, but a genuine request for information. So what _is_
            Leopard? You didn't say, and I'm curious.

            About Vista, I've heard the name often enough to have learnt that it's the
            latest Windows OS, sorry, you're a purist aren't you? "the latest Microsoft®
            Windows® OS (Vista is a trademark, and Microsoft® and Windows® are registered
            trademarks, of the Microsoft Corporation)". I'm hazy about what differences
            there are between it and the previous ones though.

            And yes, purists say that Linux is only the kernel, and that the OS should be
            called GNU/Linux, but then there is a lot of software on my current system
            which is neither from Torvalds nor from GNU, so should I call my system
            Linux/GNU/SuSE/Xorg/KDE/Vim/Mozilla/Adobe/OOo/etc.? Even if some parts of
            those are not essential to the "operating system" function, I should then say,
            at a minimum, that I'm using SuSE's version of a KDE/Xorg/GNU/Linux operating
            system, which would be an unwieldy, if "correct", name. When I mention Linux,
            people understand, even if it isn't what purists would call it.

            "For an adequate time call 555-3321"

          • Tim Stebbing
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 30, 2007
              when I type 'leopard' into google I get 'Apple - Mac OS X Leopard' as
              the first hit, leopard is the new release of OSX, as this channel was
              very recently the macvim channel (bram merged us across, some people
              might not have picked up on this yet) I can see why he figured
              everyone would know what leopard was. Google takes 5 sec to answer
              your question, this thread has already wasted everyones time.

              On 10/31/07, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

              > David Morel wrote:

              > > 7.1 works fine for me, just 1 minor glitch: mouse scroll works only
              > > after you
              > > click. But I didn't check on latest svn, and my version is probably a
              > > bit out
              > > dated (but who uses a mouse with vim?). I noticed text displays
              > > better, although
              > > I don't know why that would be... To sum it up, no real problem here.
              > >
              > >> What is Leopard? Some OS, apparently; but for people who, like me,
              > >> don't
              > >> remember ever having heard the name, it's hard to tell whether it
              > >> relates to
              > >> Windows, Linux (and which distro?), MacOS, VMS, whatever. For some
              > >> of these I
              > >> could put you on the right track, for others some other people
              > >> could, but if
              > >> we're in the dark it's harder to formulate "sensible" help.
              > >

              > > Do you rant the same way when somebody just says Vista instead of
              > > Windows Vista ?
              > > Oh, and when you say Linux, you forgot to say GNU/Linux, which is the
              > > correct name
              > > btw ;-)
              > >
              > > David Morel
              >
              > It was not a rant, but a genuine request for information. So what _is_
              > Leopard? You didn't say, and I'm curious.
              >
              > About Vista, I've heard the name often enough to have learnt that it's the
              > latest Windows OS, sorry, you're a purist aren't you? "the latest Microsoft(R)
              > Windows(R) OS (Vista is a trademark, and Microsoft(R) and Windows(R) are registered
              > trademarks, of the Microsoft Corporation)". I'm hazy about what differences
              > there are between it and the previous ones though.
              >
              > And yes, purists say that Linux is only the kernel, and that the OS should be
              > called GNU/Linux, but then there is a lot of software on my current system
              > which is neither from Torvalds nor from GNU, so should I call my system
              > Linux/GNU/SuSE/Xorg/KDE/Vim/Mozilla/Adobe/OOo/etc.? Even if some parts of
              > those are not essential to the "operating system" function, I should then say,
              > at a minimum, that I'm using SuSE's version of a KDE/Xorg/GNU/Linux operating
              > system, which would be an unwieldy, if "correct", name. When I mention Linux,
              > people understand, even if it isn't what purists would call it.
              >

              > Best regards,
              > Tony.
              > --
              > "For an adequate time call 555-3321"

              --
              Timothy J Stebbing

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 30, 2007
                Tim Stebbing wrote:
                > when I type 'leopard' into google I get 'Apple - Mac OS X Leopard' as
                > the first hit, leopard is the new release of OSX, as this channel was
                > very recently the macvim channel (bram merged us across, some people
                > might not have picked up on this yet) I can see why he figured
                > everyone would know what leopard was. Google takes 5 sec to answer
                > your question, this thread has already wasted everyones time.

                Thanks for a responsive answer, at last.

                As for merging vim-mac and vim-multibyte, I didn't know; it wasn't announced
                at vim-multibyte, and this group still bears the name vim_multibyte (not
                vim_mac), as anyone could see by just looking at his mail headers.

                I happen to be on Linux (formerly on Windows) and to have an interest in
                multibyte encodings such as UTF-8. I was even asked, some years ago, to write
                the chapter of the Vim FAQ concerning Unicode. OTOH I never had a Mac and I
                have only extremely spotty confining to nonexistent notions of anything which
                concerns the Mac. I think this explains why I was subscribed to vim-multibyte
                but not to vim-mac, as long as these lists were distinct.

                Sorry for wasting your time.

                "The last time somebody said, `I find I can write much better with a
                word processor.', I replied, `They used to say the same thing about
                drugs.'
                -- Roy Blount, Jr.

              • Tim Stebbing
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 30, 2007
                  I'm still unsure why the lists got merged :/

                  --
                  Timothy J Stebbing

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 30, 2007
                    Tim Stebbing wrote:
                    > I'm still unsure why the lists got merged :/

                    So do I. They don't seem (to me) to have much in common. If there was a reason
                    for discontinuing vim-mac, I would have expected it to be taken over by
                    vim-dev; or if vim-multibyte, by vim-use.

                    101. U can read htis w/o ny porblm and cant figur eout Y its evn listd.

                  • Nico Weber
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                      Hi,

                      > I'm still unsure why the lists got merged :/

                      there's still a pretty active vim_mac list. Do you mean the people
                      who were on vim-mac before the switch to googlegroups were added to
                      vim-multibyte? I was in both of these lists and still am.

                      Nico

                    • Kenneth Reid Beesley
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                        On 30 Oct 2007, at 18:10, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                        >> Do you rant the same way when somebody just says Vista instead of
                        >> Windows Vista ?
                        >> Oh, and when you say Linux, you forgot to say GNU/Linux, which is the
                        >> correct name
                        >> btw ;-)
                        >>
                        >> David Morel
                        >
                        > It was not a rant, but a genuine request for information. So what _is_
                        > Leopard? You didn't say, and I'm curious.

                        "Leopard" is the code name of the new Apple OS X version 10.5, which
                        came out
                        Friday 26 November.

                        So we Mac people are busily testing what does and does not work in
                        Leopard.

                        Ken

                      • José Pinheiro Neta
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007

                          Hi,
                          anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works okay, I mean compilation process and so on?

                          Compilation!

                          You just have to type on your shell:

                          $ vim --version

                          And the result is:

                          VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Oct  5 2007 20:00:43)
                          Included patches: 234
                          Compiled by _mdnsresponder@...
                          Normal version without GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
                          -arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse +builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
                          -clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
                          +cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
                          -emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search -farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
                          +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist
                           -keymap -langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
                          +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
                          -mouse_jsbterm -mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
                          -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer -profile
                          -python +quickfix +reltime -rightleft -ruby +scrollbind -signs +smartindent
                          -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
                          -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
                          +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace
                          +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
                          -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
                             system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
                               user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
                                user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
                            fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
                          Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -arch i386 -arch ppc -g -Os -pipe -mdynamic-no-pic -arch i386 -arch ppc -pipe
                          Linking:
                          gcc   -arch i386 -arch ppc             -o vim       -lncurses  -liconv

                          Anything wrong. BTW you can now work with tabs (APPLE + T) on your terminal.

                          Be good and go for it. Install Leopard. It's the best (cover flow, quick view ect . . . )

                          José

                        • Nico Weber
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                            > Compilation!

                            If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim
                            ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.
                            I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.

                            Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

                            Nico

                          • Joseph Retzer
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                              Thanks Nico. Just to note, I'm using the current snapshot of MacVim on Leopard and have had no issues running from toolbar/applications. Also no problems running from terminal.
                              Joe

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
                                Le 31 oct. 07 à 22:35, Nico Weber a écrit :

                                >> Compilation!
                                >
                                > If you just want to use Vim on the mac, take a look at MacVim
                                > ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ ). It's better integrated etc etc.
                                > I believe the latest binary snapshot already kinda works with Leopard.

                                Both macvim and vim-cocoa work with Leopard, still I met issues
                                especially regarding key mappings etc.
                                For me, the best version is still the Carbon one, and this one is
                                especially handy:
                                http://slashpunt.org/vim/index.php?n=Main.Download

                                > Sorry for the off-topic post for you non-mac guys :-|

                                Same. How do you move a whole thread from one ml to another ?
                                Only kidding...

                                David Morel

                              • theno23
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                                  On Oct 30, 9:27 pm, Krzysztof Maj <mkrz...@...> wrote:
                                  > Hi,
                                  > anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
                                  > okay, I mean compilation process and so on?

                                  I'm having problems,

                                  I use the vi:set in comments thing, eg:

                                  /* vi:set expandtab sts=4 sw=4: */

                                  and that seems to have stopped working.

                                  I've got a pretty extensively hacked ~/.vimrc file, so that may be at
                                  fault. I've looked around on the web a fair bit, but I've not yet seen
                                  a solution, or even an option that might have turned it off.

                                  - Steve

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
                                    theno23 wrote:
                                    > On Oct 30, 9:27 pm, Krzysztof Maj <mkrz...@...> wrote:
                                    >> Hi,
                                    >> anybody using latest VIM on Leopard? Any issues or everything works
                                    >> okay, I mean compilation process and so on?
                                    >
                                    > I'm having problems,
                                    >
                                    > I use the vi:set in comments thing, eg:
                                    >
                                    > /* vi:set expandtab sts=4 sw=4: */
                                    >
                                    > and that seems to have stopped working.
                                    >
                                    > I've got a pretty extensively hacked ~/.vimrc file, so that may be at
                                    > fault. I've looked around on the web a fair bit, but I've not yet seen
                                    > a solution, or even an option that might have turned it off.
                                    >
                                    > - Steve

                                    Here's how to check it: Make the file with that line active, then type

                                    :verbose set modeline? modelines? expandtab? sts? sw?

                                    Vim should tell you the current values and where they were set.

                                    See
                                    :help modeline
                                    :help 'modeline'
                                    :help 'modelines'

                                    "Jesus saves...but Gretzky gets the rebound!"
                                    -- Daniel Hinojosa