Re: cjk char width is a little wider

  • Kornelis
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 15, 2007
      On Oct 11, 2:19 am, ocean <zhudong...@...> wrote:
      > when vim is compiled with gtk2, I set guifont to monospace font, my chinese
      > character spacing is wider than latin character,not as other gtk2
      > applictions,the character spaing is united, can someone fix this problem?

      Did you set guifontwide explicitly as well?

      example from my .gvimrc
      set guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 16
      set guifontwide=Kochi\ Mincho\ 20
      set linespace=3

      Kornelis

    • Kenneth Beesley
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 15, 2007
        When you set both guifont and guifontwide,
        when does vim use one, and when the other?

        Ken

        On 15 Oct 2007, at 08:04, Kornelis wrote:

        > On Oct 11, 2:19 am, ocean <zhudong...@...> wrote:
        >> when vim is compiled with gtk2, I set guifont to monospace font,
        >> my chinese
        >> character spacing is wider than latin character,not as other gtk2
        >> applictions,the character spaing is united, can someone fix this
        >> problem?
        >
        > Did you set guifontwide explicitly as well?
        >
        > example from my .gvimrc
        > set guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 16
        > set guifontwide=Kochi\ Mincho\ 20
        > set linespace=3
        >
        > Kornelis

      • Kornelis
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 15, 2007
          On Oct 15, 8:41 pm, Kenneth Beesley <krbees...@...> wrote:
          > When you set both guifont and guifontwide,
          > when does vim use one, and when the other?
          >
          > Ken

          It uses the guifont for the characters that are not wide and the
          guifontwide
          for those that are. Actually quite convinient, since you can select
          your best
          latin font and best Asian font at the same time. But you can also
          choose
          the same font for both (but not always - depends on the font).

          If you set only guifont on Linux Pango/Xft will choose a wide font to
          match,
          but for reasons unknown to me some combinations mess up the character
          spacing of the Asian font in gvim upto now. Therefore explicitly
          setting
          guifontwide as well works better for me.

          Best results are to be expected with a monospaced font for the latin
          font.

          Kornelis

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 16, 2007
            Kornelis wrote:
            > On Oct 15, 8:41 pm, Kenneth Beesley <krbees...@...> wrote:
            >> When you set both guifont and guifontwide,
            >> when does vim use one, and when the other?
            >>
            >> Ken
            >>

            > It uses the guifont for the characters that are not wide and the
            > guifontwide
            > for those that are. Actually quite convinient, since you can select
            > your best
            > latin font and best Asian font at the same time. But you can also
            > choose
            > the same font for both (but not always - depends on the font).
            >
            > If you set only guifont on Linux Pango/Xft will choose a wide font to
            > match,
            > but for reasons unknown to me some combinations mess up the character
            > spacing of the Asian font in gvim upto now. Therefore explicitly
            > setting
            > guifontwide as well works better for me.
            >
            > Best results are to be expected with a monospaced font for the latin
            > font.
            >
            > Kornelis

            The wide glyphs should be exactly twice the width of, and the same height as,
            the narrow glyphs, regardless of whether or not you use the 'guifontwide' option.

            Not setting 'guifontwide' (and selecting some East-Asian 'guifont' when
            editing a file containing CJK text) works best for me on gvim with GTK2 GUI.
            That way, proper size relations between wide and narrow glyphs are ensured by
            the construction of the font itself.

            58. You turn on your computer and turn off your wife.

          • Kornelis
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 16, 2007
              On Oct 16, 9:26 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
              wrote:
              > > > On Oct 15, 8:41 pm, Kenneth Beesley
              > > > <krbees...@...> wrote: When you set both
              > > > guifont and guifontwide, when does vim use one, and
              > > > when the other? [snip]
              > > It uses the guifont for the characters that are not
              > > wide and the guifontwide for those that are. Actually
              > > quite convinient, since you can select your best
              > > latin font and best Asian font at the same time. But
              > > you can also choose the same font for both (but not
              > > always - depends on the font).
              > >
              > > If you set only guifont on Linux Pango/Xft will
              > > choose a wide font to match, but for reasons unknown
              > > to me some combinations mess up the character spacing
              > > of the Asian font in gvim upto now. Therefore
              > > explicitly setting guifontwide as well works better
              > > for me.
              > >
              > > Best results are to be expected with a monospaced
              > > font for the latin font.

              > The wide glyphs should be exactly twice the width of,
              > and the same height as, the narrow glyphs, regardless
              > of whether or not you use the 'guifontwide' option.

              I thought the orignal poster was talking about TTF, but I
              don't know how to determine the width of a TTF (I
              remember I tried to find that out through fontconfig, but
              according to my notes all I got was a width of 100 for
              *all* my TTF fonts).

              As for the height (still talking TTF) do you mean size? I
              play with setting that to make a better match, but I never
              noticed a problem.

              But perhaps your comment was strictly with regard to
              bitmap, unscalable fonts?

              I know how to get info on the height and width of bitmap
              fonts, and in fact I use bitmap fonts in gvim as a rule.
              But in my experience thus far lots of users want to use
              TTF. Perhaps I don't know how to get info on those
              correctly, or perhaps things are different in different
              distro's and/or wm's? (Slackware 10.2 / Openbox here)

              > Not setting 'guifontwide' (and selecting some
              > East-Asian 'guifont' when editing a file containing CJK
              > text) works best for me on gvim with GTK2 GUI. That
              > way, proper size relations between wide and narrow
              > glyphs are ensured by the construction of the font
              > itself.

              When I set only guifont with a TTF, the results are
              unpredictable in my version of gvim (version 7.0 on
              Slackware 10.2). Some fonts are spaced correctly (e.g.
              Kochi Mincho or HGSeikaishotaiPRO) others are not. For
              example the popular free TTF Bitstream Cyberbit spaces
              too wide when I set only guifont. Some epson fonts I've
              got display wrong as guifont as well. But when I set them
              as guifontwide in combination with a latin monospace TTF
              for guifont things are just fine.

              I've seen this for many years, and I thought the original poster
              was having the same problem. But perhaps my system is
              broken and is my approach a crude end-user hack.

            • ocean
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 16, 2007
                I am talking about TTF fonts,I use fontconfig <alias> <prefer> to
                combine latin fonts and cjk fonts,when I only set guifont the space
                between cjk chars is about twice the
                space between space between latin chars.Now problem solved,I think the
                key point is set guifont and guifontwide with different size.By way,my
                mlterm also have the same problem. Thanks.I think why vim can't behave
                like other gtk applications,for example gedit,make all the chars have
                the same space between each other.

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 16, 2007
                  Kornelis wrote:
                  >>> It uses the guifont for the characters that are not
                  >>> wide and the guifontwide for those that are. Actually
                  >>> quite convinient, since you can select your best
                  >>> latin font and best Asian font at the same time. But
                  >>> you can also choose the same font for both (but not
                  >>> always - depends on the font).
                  >>>
                  >>> If you set only guifont on Linux Pango/Xft will
                  >>> choose a wide font to match, but for reasons unknown
                  >>> to me some combinations mess up the character spacing
                  >>> of the Asian font in gvim upto now. Therefore
                  >>> explicitly setting guifontwide as well works better
                  >>> for me.
                  >>>
                  >>> Best results are to be expected with a monospaced
                  >>> font for the latin font.
                  >
                  >> The wide glyphs should be exactly twice the width of,
                  >> and the same height as, the narrow glyphs, regardless
                  >> of whether or not you use the 'guifontwide' option.
                  >
                  > I thought the orignal poster was talking about TTF, but I
                  > don't know how to determine the width of a TTF (I
                  > remember I tried to find that out through fontconfig, but
                  > according to my notes all I got was a width of 100 for
                  > *all* my TTF fonts).
                  >
                  > As for the height (still talking TTF) do you mean size? I
                  > play with setting that to make a better match, but I never
                  > noticed a problem.
                  >
                  > But perhaps your comment was strictly with regard to
                  > bitmap, unscalable fonts?

                  My comment was about all fonts. The Vim character cell has a constant size all
                  over the screen, for all windows comprising one instance of Vim. One narrow
                  character occupies one cell, one wide character occupies two cells. The cell
                  size changes when you set the 'guifont'. The GTK2 GUI (alone among all
                  versions of gvim) will accept a font whose glyphs aren't all the same size,
                  but it will clip wider glyphs at the cell borders and it will fill narrower
                  glyphs with empty space, making the result ugly. Other gvim versions require
                  monospace fonts (which may be TrueType or OpenType); I have met fonts which
                  pretended to be monospace but weren't: for instance, the bold Cyrillic glyphs
                  of the Lucida Console font are one or two pixels wider than the character
                  cell. The result, again, was ugly.

                  > I know how to get info on the height and width of bitmap
                  > fonts, and in fact I use bitmap fonts in gvim as a rule.
                  > But in my experience thus far lots of users want to use
                  > TTF. Perhaps I don't know how to get info on those
                  > correctly, or perhaps things are different in different
                  > distro's and/or wm's? (Slackware 10.2 / Openbox here)
                  >
                  >> Not setting 'guifontwide' (and selecting some
                  >> East-Asian 'guifont' when editing a file containing CJK
                  >> text) works best for me on gvim with GTK2 GUI. That
                  >> way, proper size relations between wide and narrow
                  >> glyphs are ensured by the construction of the font
                  >> itself.
                  >
                  > When I set only guifont with a TTF, the results are
                  > unpredictable in my version of gvim (version 7.0 on
                  > Slackware 10.2). Some fonts are spaced correctly (e.g.
                  > Kochi Mincho or HGSeikaishotaiPRO) others are not. For
                  > example the popular free TTF Bitstream Cyberbit spaces
                  > too wide when I set only guifont. Some epson fonts I've
                  > got display wrong as guifont as well. But when I set them
                  > as guifontwide in combination with a latin monospace TTF
                  > for guifont things are just fine.
                  >
                  > I've seen this for many years, and I thought the original poster
                  > was having the same problem. But perhaps my system is
                  > broken and is my approach a crude end-user hack.

                  I use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono for normal editing, Courier New for Arabic and
                  FZKaiTi for CJK, and it doesn't give me problems. (On Windows my favourite CJK
                  font used to be MingLiU and my favourite Latin font, Lucida Console.)

                  The Split-Atom Blues

                  Gimme Twinkies, gimme wine,
                  Gimme jeans by Calvin Kline ...
                  But if you split those atoms fine,