Problem with system PATH in Gvim

  • Krzysztof Maj
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2007
      Hello,
      How to set the correct PATH variable in the Mac OSX environment for
      GVim? I tried to do it like below in the GVim window, but it doesn't
      work:

      :!export PATH=/opt/local/bin:~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/
      usr/local/tex
      live/2005/bin/i386-darwin:$PATH

      :!echo $PATH
      /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

      GVim still have the same PATH variable. How to force it to enhance
      the PATH?

      All the best,
      --
      Krzysztof Maj, JNCIP-M/T
      I'm a M@c, are you still a PC?

      All the best,
      --
      Krzysztof Maj, JNCIP-M/T
      I'm a M@c, are you still a PC?
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2007
        Krzysztof Maj wrote:

        > Hello,
        > How to set the correct PATH variable in the Mac OSX environment for
        > GVim? I tried to do it like below in the GVim window, but it doesn't work:
        >
        > :!export
        > PATH=/opt/local/bin:~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/tex
        > live/2005/bin/i386-darwin:$PATH
        >
        > :!echo $PATH
        > /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
        >
        > GVim still have the same PATH variable. How to force it to enhance the
        > PATH?
        >

        > All the best,

        :let $PATH =
        '/opt/local/bin:~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/tex:live/2005/bin/i386-darwin:'
        . $PATH

        (all on one line).

        IIUC, Vim executes external commands in a subshell, meaning that any
        environment variables set (and even "exported") from that subshell will regain
        their former values when the subshell terminates. The ":let" statement above
        changes Vim's own environment, for Vim itself and all the shells it will
        spawn, until you close that Vim session.

        See ":help :let-$"

        My Favorite Drugs [Sung to My Favorite Things]
        Reefers and roach clips and papers and rollers
        Cocaine and procaine for twenty year molars
        Reds and peyote to work out your bugs
        These are a few of my favorite drugs.

        Uppers and downers and methedrine freakout
        Take some amphetamines, watch your brains leak out
        Acid and mescaline pull out your plugs
        These are a few of my favorite drugs.

        Backs that are perfect for carrying monkeys
        Users of heroin, often called junkies
        Methadone helps then to stop being thugs
        Takes them off one of my favorite drugs.

        On a bad trip
        When the cops come
        When I lose my head
        I simply take more of my favorite drugs
        And then I'm not sad -- I'm dead!

      • Krzysztof Maj
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2007
          On 2007-10-09, at 22:42, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > IIUC, Vim executes external commands in a subshell, meaning that any
          > environment variables set (and even "exported") from that subshell
          > will regain
          > their former values when the subshell terminates. The ":let"
          > statement above
          > changes Vim's own environment, for Vim itself and all the shells it
          > will
          > spawn, until you close that Vim session.
          >
          > See ":help :let-$"

          Thanks a lot Tony!

          All the best,
          --