Re: Inputting the newer unicode characters

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 23, 2007
      Hi,

      > I'd like to switch over to vim, but I work a lot with exotic Unicode
      > characters
      > in the supplementary area. When I last looked into vim, and
      > experimented
      > with keymaps, I found that I could easily enter any Unicode char, and
      > save
      > the results to file---and the Unicode chars in the file were
      > correct. But as
      > long as I couldn't _see_ my character glyphs rendered on the screen,
      > vim wasn't
      > acceptable as an editor. All I could see were boxes (or question
      > marks--I can't
      > remember which).

      This should be fixed with the current svn version, at least for gvim
      (if you have the necessary fonts).

      Nico

    • Kenneth Beesley
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 23, 2007
        Nico,

        This is great news. Many thanks for the message.

        Ken

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 23, 2007
          Nico Weber wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          >> I'd like to switch over to vim, but I work a lot with exotic Unicode
          >> characters
          >> in the supplementary area. When I last looked into vim, and
          >> experimented
          >> with keymaps, I found that I could easily enter any Unicode char, and
          >> save
          >> the results to file---and the Unicode chars in the file were
          >> correct. But as
          >> long as I couldn't _see_ my character glyphs rendered on the screen,
          >> vim wasn't
          >> acceptable as an editor. All I could see were boxes (or question
          >> marks--I can't
          >> remember which).
          >
          > This should be fixed with the current svn version, at least for gvim
          > (if you have the necessary fonts).
          >
          > Nico

          Yes: even for people who don't use SVN (but CVS, A-A-P, ftp, whatever), it is
          patch 7.1.116, and works for me.

          "Water? Never touch the stuff! Fish fuck in it."
          -- W. C. Fields