Re: windows native small iconv

  • Yukihiro Nakadaira
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
      Edward L. Fox wrote:
      > On 9/10/07, Yukihiro Nakadaira <yukihiro.nakadaira@...> wrote:
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> http://yukihiro.nakadaira.googlepages.com/win_iconv.zip
      >>
      >> This is an iconv library implemented with Win32 API.
      >> Conversion with Win32 API and libiconv.dll are supported.
      >
      > You mean that it only uses Win32 API and doesn't require libiconv.dll at all?

      Yes. win_iconv does not depends on libiconv.dll. By default,
      MultiByteToWideChar() and WideCharToMultiByte() are used to conversion.
      If $WINICONV_LIBICONV_DLL environment variable was defined, win_iconv
      loads the specified DLL dynamically and uses it. And if loading the DLL
      or invoking iconv_open() failed, falls back to Windows native conversion.

    • Yukihiro Nakadaira
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Yukihiro Nakadaira wrote:
        >
        >> http://yukihiro.nakadaira.googlepages.com/win_iconv.zip
        >>
        >> This is an iconv library implemented with Win32 API.
        >> Conversion with Win32 API and libiconv.dll are supported.
        >
        > That is great. So the libintl.dll from this Zip archive can directly
        > replace the libintl.dll that is included in the Vim runtime directory,
        > right? Without the need for any other shared libraries?

        Yes, it is. It does not depends on any other DLL.

        > A few suggestions:
        >
        > Please mention what sources you used to generate the libraries. They
        > are probably GPL'ed, thus you must provide the sources. And mention
        > the license.

        I added the source of gettext to archive. And mentioned to the license
        in readme.txt.

        > I assume you wrote win_iconv.c yourself. Then you should mention the
        > copyright at the start of the file. Otherwise the implied copyright
        > protection means that nobody can distribute this. So I would not be
        > able to include it in the Vim distribution. You can use the Vim license
        > to make it simpler for me. Or use the Apache license, many people
        > recommend it.

        I selected the public domain. But I will change the license if the
        public domain is considered cause of trouble.

        > It would be good to add a way to test this. I assume you did a few
        > manual tests yourself, but doing "make test" to verify that everything
        > works as expected gives us much more confidence that it really works.
        > Especially if someone makes a few changes later.

        I will write test as soon as possible.

        Thank you for your suggestions.