windows native small iconv

  • Yukihiro Nakadaira
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2007
      Hi,

      http://yukihiro.nakadaira.googlepages.com/win_iconv.zip

      This is an iconv library implemented with Win32 API.
      Conversion with Win32 API and libiconv.dll are supported.

    • Edward L. Fox
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
        On 9/10/07, Yukihiro Nakadaira <yukihiro.nakadaira@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > http://yukihiro.nakadaira.googlepages.com/win_iconv.zip
        >
        > This is an iconv library implemented with Win32 API.
        > Conversion with Win32 API and libiconv.dll are supported.

        You mean that it only uses Win32 API and doesn't require libiconv.dll at all?

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
          Yukihiro Nakadaira wrote:

          > http://yukihiro.nakadaira.googlepages.com/win_iconv.zip
          >
          > This is an iconv library implemented with Win32 API.
          > Conversion with Win32 API and libiconv.dll are supported.

          That is great. So the libintl.dll from this Zip archive can directly
          replace the libintl.dll that is included in the Vim runtime directory,
          right? Without the need for any other shared libraries?

          A few suggestions:

          Please mention what sources you used to generate the libraries. They
          are probably GPL'ed, thus you must provide the sources. And mention
          the license.

          I assume you wrote win_iconv.c yourself. Then you should mention the
          copyright at the start of the file. Otherwise the implied copyright
          protection means that nobody can distribute this. So I would not be
          able to include it in the Vim distribution. You can use the Vim license
          to make it simpler for me. Or use the Apache license, many people
          recommend it.

          It would be good to add a way to test this. I assume you did a few
          manual tests yourself, but doing "make test" to verify that everything
          works as expected gives us much more confidence that it really works.
          Especially if someone makes a few changes later.

          --
          ARTHUR: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that
          Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here.

        • Yukihiro Nakadaira
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
            Edward L. Fox wrote:
            > On 9/10/07, Yukihiro Nakadaira <yukihiro.nakadaira@...> wrote:
            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> http://yukihiro.nakadaira.googlepages.com/win_iconv.zip
            >>
            >> This is an iconv library implemented with Win32 API.
            >> Conversion with Win32 API and libiconv.dll are supported.
            >
            > You mean that it only uses Win32 API and doesn't require libiconv.dll at all?

            Yes. win_iconv does not depends on libiconv.dll. By default,
            MultiByteToWideChar() and WideCharToMultiByte() are used to conversion.
            If $WINICONV_LIBICONV_DLL environment variable was defined, win_iconv
            loads the specified DLL dynamically and uses it. And if loading the DLL
            or invoking iconv_open() failed, falls back to Windows native conversion.

          • Yukihiro Nakadaira
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
              Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > Yukihiro Nakadaira wrote:
              >
              >> http://yukihiro.nakadaira.googlepages.com/win_iconv.zip
              >>
              >> This is an iconv library implemented with Win32 API.
              >> Conversion with Win32 API and libiconv.dll are supported.
              >
              > That is great. So the libintl.dll from this Zip archive can directly
              > replace the libintl.dll that is included in the Vim runtime directory,
              > right? Without the need for any other shared libraries?

              Yes, it is. It does not depends on any other DLL.

              > A few suggestions:
              >
              > Please mention what sources you used to generate the libraries. They
              > are probably GPL'ed, thus you must provide the sources. And mention
              > the license.

              I added the source of gettext to archive. And mentioned to the license
              in readme.txt.

              > I assume you wrote win_iconv.c yourself. Then you should mention the
              > copyright at the start of the file. Otherwise the implied copyright
              > protection means that nobody can distribute this. So I would not be
              > able to include it in the Vim distribution. You can use the Vim license
              > to make it simpler for me. Or use the Apache license, many people
              > recommend it.

              I selected the public domain. But I will change the license if the
              public domain is considered cause of trouble.

              > It would be good to add a way to test this. I assume you did a few
              > manual tests yourself, but doing "make test" to verify that everything
              > works as expected gives us much more confidence that it really works.
              > Especially if someone makes a few changes later.

              I will write test as soon as possible.

              Thank you for your suggestions.