Re: Inputting the newer unicode characters

  • Kenneth Beesley
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
      Tony,

      If I were just typing in a Supplementary character here and there,
      or even an isolated word, I would use a similar solution.

      However, I'm editing (proofreading) chapter-length texts consisting of
      supplementary characters, and when I open such a text in vim and
      see nothing but a screenful of question marks, you can imagine
      my disappointment.

      Best wishes,

      Ken

      On 31 Aug 2007, at 23:19, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > Eze wrote:
      >> Thanks a lot to you both for your insights. Ken, if I may ask, what
      >> exactly do you use to see/work with/input unicode characters? All
      >> information will be appreciated, such as linux distribution, desktop
      >> manager, text editor, etcetera.
      >>
      >> Best regards,
      >>
      >> Eze
      >
      > I don't know what Ken does, but I use gvim to input any unicode
      > codepoints,
      > and any browser (Firefox, SeaMonkey, or, depending on platform,
      > Konqueror, IE,
      > Safari, etc.) to visualise those outside the BMP.
      >

      > Best regards,
      > Tony.
      > --
      > Boob's Law:
      > You always find something in the last place you look.

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 23, 2007
        Hi,

        > I'd like to switch over to vim, but I work a lot with exotic Unicode
        > characters
        > in the supplementary area. When I last looked into vim, and
        > experimented
        > with keymaps, I found that I could easily enter any Unicode char, and
        > save
        > the results to file---and the Unicode chars in the file were
        > correct. But as
        > long as I couldn't _see_ my character glyphs rendered on the screen,
        > vim wasn't
        > acceptable as an editor. All I could see were boxes (or question
        > marks--I can't
        > remember which).

        This should be fixed with the current svn version, at least for gvim
        (if you have the necessary fonts).

        Nico

      • Kenneth Beesley
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 23, 2007
          Nico,

          This is great news. Many thanks for the message.

          Ken

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 23, 2007
            Nico Weber wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            >> I'd like to switch over to vim, but I work a lot with exotic Unicode
            >> characters
            >> in the supplementary area. When I last looked into vim, and
            >> experimented
            >> with keymaps, I found that I could easily enter any Unicode char, and
            >> save
            >> the results to file---and the Unicode chars in the file were
            >> correct. But as
            >> long as I couldn't _see_ my character glyphs rendered on the screen,
            >> vim wasn't
            >> acceptable as an editor. All I could see were boxes (or question
            >> marks--I can't
            >> remember which).
            >
            > This should be fixed with the current svn version, at least for gvim
            > (if you have the necessary fonts).
            >
            > Nico

            Yes: even for people who don't use SVN (but CVS, A-A-P, ftp, whatever), it is
            patch 7.1.116, and works for me.

            "Water? Never touch the stuff! Fish fuck in it."
            -- W. C. Fields