RE: Fwd: VIM 7.1 compilation error

  • Ben Peterson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
      Hi,

      True, one would have to make two separate attempts, one for old-style
      and one for new-style Romanization.

      There are other problems too, now that I think about it:

      1) Some Korean syllables have different final consonants when written
      but not when spoken. It is difficult to express this in romanization.
      2) Hundreds of mappings would start the same way as each other (e.g.
      Se, Set, Seok, Seo, Seot, Seok etc) which might make entering them via
      the mapping system a bit odd (would it pick 'Se' if you hesitated part
      of the way through typing 'Seoul'?)

      3) As you know, neither romanization system is unambiguous because it
      is sometimes impossible to tell where a syllable ends. Normally you
      wouldn't want to type 'Se-o-ul', but if you did, how would the keymap
      tell it apart from 'Seo-ul'? I think you'd need to actually type the
      hyphens or something.

      Hm, this actually sounds very very hard :(

      Still I might generating a keymap (from the composed hangul character
      area of the Unicode charts) over the weekend and see what happens.

      Benjamin

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2007
        Edward L. Fox wrote:

        > Sorry for sending mail in HTML format, as the following content has some
        > images to display.
        >
        > Do you think we should deprecate the build-in Hangul supporting since the
        > next version of VIM? So far as I know, the Hangul supporting conflicted with
        > XIM module, which is more useful for Asian users. That's why the official
        > Vim pre-built binary never enable this option. Some Korean users also
        > noticed that the latest sources couldn't be built with this option enabled.
        > I think all the users will use input method later, so I'd like to disable
        > the "Hangul automata" from now on.
        >
        > And if possible, we could also supply a Hangul input method by using the
        > keymap mechanism, just like the kana (Japanese letters) keymap ported by me.
        > I know nothing about Korean so I hope any Korean friend could help me with
        > this issue.

        I hesitate removing the Hangul support without knowing for sure that it
        is not needed. Browsing through the messages I do see remarks that it
        might still be useful to a few people.

        Perhaps the Hangul support can be changed to also work for UTF-8?

        The compilation error is easy to fix: Don't define FEAT_XFONTSET when
        using GTK2.

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        :-) Funny