Re: UTF-8 Hardcopy in Windows, what works!

  • Duke Winsor
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2007
      [Response in thread. I'm just posting it, not knowing the preferred
      protocol.]

      >...and before. Windows 3.1 already had a version of Notepad, albeit not
      >necessarily a Unicode-enabled one.

      I'll take your word for it. I haven't had a running 3.1 for about 5 years.

      >Try to modify your "start" command so that it is not detached from its calling
      >process. Not sure how to do it but maybe "start /?" could tell you. Come back
      >if it doesn't work.

      Windows once had documentation embedded in the commands (like Linux). That no longer appears to be the case. What I could find was here:
      http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/start.mspx?mfr=true start
      The /wait and /b options look possible. Unfortunately, both are rejected in Windows 2000.

      >>2. Tell me how to suppress the printing of the message, preferably
      >>temporarily, since it seems superfluous.

      >see ":help :silent" maybe?

      BINGO! That does it. I now have a script that prints without error messages:

      command Ha silent! call system('start /min notepad /p "' . bufname('%') . '"')

      >2>&1 is a redirection too: in Unix-like shells, it means to redirect stderr
      >(handle 2) to wherever stdout (handle 1) is going. (You see there the parency
      >between Dos 2.0 and higher, and Unix: in both, file descriptors 0-2 are stdin,
      >stdout and stderr in that order. Or maybe it traces back via Dos 1.0 and CP/M,
      >I'm not sure.)

      >If stdout is later redirected, stderr does not follow it, so to redirect both
      >you would use "program > filename.log 2>&1". This is exactly what happens in
      >your case, albeit with a more complicated output filename.

      I have now tried the command string with ">file.txt 2>&1" included, and the command window executes it without complaint. The result is a file of zero length. It is possible that Vim gets unhappy when it tries to open the output file, because it gets an immediate end-of-file.

      >see above, and also the various shell-something options
      > :set wildmenu
      > :help 'shell<Tab> or
      > :help 'shell<Ctrl-D>
      >where each <> notation means one keystroke.
      >Checking those lets me believe that you have 'shellredir' set to ">%s 2>&1"; I
      >don't know whether cmd.exe recognises it.

      Indeed, :help 'shell<Tab> produces a list of items, one of which is 'shellredir', so I can presumably change that if I wish (or need) to.

      >Are you sure you aren't using a Unix-like Vim (such as Vim for Cygwin) with a
      >Dos-like shell (such as cmd.exe)? Check
      > :echo has("unix")

      I am using whatever comes with "cream." I first found it on April 26. The result of ":echo has("unix")" is 0.

      >Best regards,
      >Tony.

      Thanks VERY much! I really appreciate the quality and depth of your reply!

      Sincerely,
      Duke

      --
      While the ink was still drying on the United States Constitution in 1787, Benjamin Franklin observed: "Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a society becomes, the more it has need of masters."
      -- Pat Boone 5/5/2007