Unicode supplementary chars in Vim

  • Kenneth Reid Beesley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2007
      I'm interested in using Vim to edit files with Unicode supplementary
      chars, like Shavian and Deseret Alphabet.

      I have Vim 7.0 running and have written vim input methods to enter
      such characters. I can write the resulting files and have confirmed
      that they really do contain the desired characters.

      But the characters do not display in my vim windows. I just see
      question marks. Not good.

      Question: is it just a matter of setting the right fonts? or is vim
      still incapable of displaying Unicode supplementary chars?

      Thanks,

      Ken
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2007
        Kenneth Reid Beesley wrote:
        > I'm interested in using Vim to edit files with Unicode supplementary
        > chars, like Shavian and Deseret Alphabet.
        >
        > I have Vim 7.0 running and have written vim input methods to enter
        > such characters. I can write the resulting files and have confirmed
        > that they really do contain the desired characters.
        >
        > But the characters do not display in my vim windows. I just see
        > question marks. Not good.
        >
        > Question: is it just a matter of setting the right fonts? or is vim
        > still incapable of displaying Unicode supplementary chars?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ken

        I think that Vim is incapabale of displaying codepoints above U+FFFF, but I'm
        not 100% sure. It is a problem for CJK too, since some hanzi are in plane 2
        (U+2xxxx).

        Of course, any codepoints for which your 'guifont' has no glyph (or, in GTK2
        versions, for which Xft cannot find a glyph) can never be displayed.