Re: Vim Support for Syriac

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
      Tony Khoshaba wrote:
      > Great info thank you. I was playing with Courier_New as well. I was
      > wondering what proper tool I can use to just add Syriac to Courier_New
      > and name it something else so the same way Syriac would be supported
      > along with other languages using the same font.

      I don't know how to edit fonts; if you do it, make sure that all your
      Courier_New glyphs (including the existing Latin glyphs) have exactly
      the same dimensions: height, width, and height of the top and bottom of
      a letter like lowercase x relative to the character cell. Anyway, I
      don't know of any fixed-width font covering the full Unicode range: when
      editing my front page
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/index.htm , which has not only
      Latin but also Cyrillic (Russian) and East-Asian (Chinese and Japanese)
      text, I have to change the 'guifont' depending on which part I'm editing.

      If your Courier_New font hasn't got (even with :cDEFAULT) the Syriac
      glyphs you need, well, try to find a fixed-with font with a different
      name, providing the Syriac glyphs, and also if possible the basic Latin
      glyphs. Or you might want to check if there is a language pack that
      includes Syriac on the Windows Update site: installing that might be
      enough to add the required glyphs to Courier_New (and also to common
      "proportional" fonts like Arial or Times New Roman: Vim cannot use them,
      but if you create HTML pages in Syriac you can load them in your
      favourite browser to check that they display OK).