Re: Vim Support for Syriac

  • Tony Khoshaba
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
      Great info thank you. I was playing with Courier_New as well. I was wondering what proper tool I can use to just add Syriac to Courier_New and name it something else so the same way Syriac would be supported along with other languages using the same font.

      Tony

      "A.J.Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote: Tony Khoshaba wrote:
      > If this is the case then the project looks easier. Adding Syriac would
      > mean just changing some of the shaping rules for Arabic. But my
      > impression was that there is more into font design than just using a TTF
      > font out of the box. Anyway nut I thing I have enough material to work
      > with.
      >
      > So if I start with Windows version of Vim, can I build it straight
      > forwardly using Microsoft VC++ tools?

      Adding Arabic to Vim required no change in the existing fonts: once I
      had a gvim with +arabic, I could edit Arabic text, even vocalised
      Arabic, using the Courier_New font that came with Windows; but Syriac is
      a "rarer" language than Arabic, you may have to make sure that you have
      a fixed-width font with Syriac glyphs. Start with Courier_New and use
      ":set guifont=*" if that doesn't work. After using ":set guifont=*" I
      recommend to use ":set guifont=" to replace the :c part of the font
      by :cDEFAULT as in (for example) ":set guifont=Courier_New:h12:cDEFAULT"
      -- with that setting I've been able to see Latin, Russian and Arabic
      text in a single file (of course, seeing the Arabic text "properly"
      required toggling the text direction with ":setlocal invrightleft").

      You should be able to edit the Vim C source with Vim itself, then build
      it with any set of make, C/C++ compiler and linker that can work
      together. I have used Borland BCC32 and Cygwin gcc, but yes, MSVC has
      also been used. In that case, the makefile to use is src/Make_mvc.mak .
      You may want to set some configuration settings by means of environment
      variables before running make, but I'm not sure of the details -- MSVC
      is one compiler I haven't used. You may want to look at the comments in
      the Make_mvc.mak and/or at how I have built Vim for Windows using BCC
      and (later) gcc, see
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm .

      Once you have a working patch for Vim, don't forget to submit it to Bram
      for inclusion into the "official" source. ;-)

    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
        Tony Khoshaba wrote:
        > Great info thank you. I was playing with Courier_New as well. I was
        > wondering what proper tool I can use to just add Syriac to Courier_New
        > and name it something else so the same way Syriac would be supported
        > along with other languages using the same font.

        I don't know how to edit fonts; if you do it, make sure that all your
        Courier_New glyphs (including the existing Latin glyphs) have exactly
        the same dimensions: height, width, and height of the top and bottom of
        a letter like lowercase x relative to the character cell. Anyway, I
        don't know of any fixed-width font covering the full Unicode range: when
        editing my front page
        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/index.htm , which has not only
        Latin but also Cyrillic (Russian) and East-Asian (Chinese and Japanese)
        text, I have to change the 'guifont' depending on which part I'm editing.

        If your Courier_New font hasn't got (even with :cDEFAULT) the Syriac
        glyphs you need, well, try to find a fixed-with font with a different
        name, providing the Syriac glyphs, and also if possible the basic Latin
        glyphs. Or you might want to check if there is a language pack that
        includes Syriac on the Windows Update site: installing that might be
        enough to add the required glyphs to Courier_New (and also to common
        "proportional" fonts like Arial or Times New Roman: Vim cannot use them,
        but if you create HTML pages in Syriac you can load them in your
        favourite browser to check that they display OK).