Re: Vim Support for Syriac

  • Tony Khoshaba
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
      If this is the case then the project looks easier. Adding Syriac would mean just changing some of the shaping rules for Arabic. But my impression was that there is more into font design than just using a TTF font out of the box. Anyway nut I thing I have enough material to work with.

      So if I start with Windows version of Vim, can I build it straight forwardly using Microsoft VC++ tools?

      Tony

      "A.J.Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote: Tony Khoshaba wrote:

      > I am motivated to do it. But first would like to outline the list of
      > things to do.
      > I once wrote a rendering engine in Dephi and hooked it to a Windows edit
      > box and used a TTF font for it. That was before Microsoft added Syriac
      > rendering engine to professional XP. But most people do not have access
      > to professional XP.
      >
      > To adopt my Syriac TTF fonts for such project what should I do? Sorry
      > for asking basic questions but my knowledge in this area has become
      > rusty and I need to come to speed.
      >
      > Tony

      If your Syriac TTF fonts include all the necessary glyphs, they
      shouldn't be the problem; they should work "out of the box" once the
      support for the Syriac alphabet will have been built into the C source
      of Vim, just by setting 'guifont', 'rightleft', etc. to proper settings.
      The problem is to have Vim display the proper contextual forms in the
      proper contexts, like it does for Arabic, and that requires a C module
      which should IMHO be very similar to the Arabic one.

    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
        Tony Khoshaba wrote:
        > If this is the case then the project looks easier. Adding Syriac would
        > mean just changing some of the shaping rules for Arabic. But my
        > impression was that there is more into font design than just using a TTF
        > font out of the box. Anyway nut I thing I have enough material to work
        > with.
        >
        > So if I start with Windows version of Vim, can I build it straight
        > forwardly using Microsoft VC++ tools?

        Adding Arabic to Vim required no change in the existing fonts: once I
        had a gvim with +arabic, I could edit Arabic text, even vocalised
        Arabic, using the Courier_New font that came with Windows; but Syriac is
        a "rarer" language than Arabic, you may have to make sure that you have
        a fixed-width font with Syriac glyphs. Start with Courier_New and use
        ":set guifont=*" if that doesn't work. After using ":set guifont=*" I
        recommend to use ":set guifont=<Tab>" to replace the :c part of the font
        by :cDEFAULT as in (for example) ":set guifont=Courier_New:h12:cDEFAULT"
        -- with that setting I've been able to see Latin, Russian and Arabic
        text in a single file (of course, seeing the Arabic text "properly"
        required toggling the text direction with ":setlocal invrightleft").

        You should be able to edit the Vim C source with Vim itself, then build
        it with any set of make, C/C++ compiler and linker that can work
        together. I have used Borland BCC32 and Cygwin gcc, but yes, MSVC has
        also been used. In that case, the makefile to use is src/Make_mvc.mak .
        You may want to set some configuration settings by means of environment
        variables before running make, but I'm not sure of the details -- MSVC
        is one compiler I haven't used. You may want to look at the comments in
        the Make_mvc.mak and/or at how I have built Vim for Windows using BCC
        and (later) gcc, see
        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm .

        Once you have a working patch for Vim, don't forget to submit it to Bram
        for inclusion into the "official" source. ;-)

      • Tony Khoshaba
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
          Great info thank you. I was playing with Courier_New as well. I was wondering what proper tool I can use to just add Syriac to Courier_New and name it something else so the same way Syriac would be supported along with other languages using the same font.

          Tony

          "A.J.Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote: Tony Khoshaba wrote:
          > If this is the case then the project looks easier. Adding Syriac would
          > mean just changing some of the shaping rules for Arabic. But my
          > impression was that there is more into font design than just using a TTF
          > font out of the box. Anyway nut I thing I have enough material to work
          > with.
          >
          > So if I start with Windows version of Vim, can I build it straight
          > forwardly using Microsoft VC++ tools?

          Adding Arabic to Vim required no change in the existing fonts: once I
          had a gvim with +arabic, I could edit Arabic text, even vocalised
          Arabic, using the Courier_New font that came with Windows; but Syriac is
          a "rarer" language than Arabic, you may have to make sure that you have
          a fixed-width font with Syriac glyphs. Start with Courier_New and use
          ":set guifont=*" if that doesn't work. After using ":set guifont=*" I
          recommend to use ":set guifont=" to replace the :c part of the font

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 18, 2006
            Tony Khoshaba wrote:
            > Great info thank you. I was playing with Courier_New as well. I was
            > wondering what proper tool I can use to just add Syriac to Courier_New
            > and name it something else so the same way Syriac would be supported
            > along with other languages using the same font.

            I don't know how to edit fonts; if you do it, make sure that all your
            Courier_New glyphs (including the existing Latin glyphs) have exactly
            the same dimensions: height, width, and height of the top and bottom of
            a letter like lowercase x relative to the character cell. Anyway, I
            don't know of any fixed-width font covering the full Unicode range: when
            editing my front page
            http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/index.htm , which has not only
            Latin but also Cyrillic (Russian) and East-Asian (Chinese and Japanese)
            text, I have to change the 'guifont' depending on which part I'm editing.

            If your Courier_New font hasn't got (even with :cDEFAULT) the Syriac
            glyphs you need, well, try to find a fixed-with font with a different
            name, providing the Syriac glyphs, and also if possible the basic Latin
            glyphs. Or you might want to check if there is a language pack that
            includes Syriac on the Windows Update site: installing that might be
            enough to add the required glyphs to Courier_New (and also to common
            "proportional" fonts like Arial or Times New Roman: Vim cannot use them,
            but if you create HTML pages in Syriac you can load them in your
            favourite browser to check that they display OK).