Re: Can not map the meta key in gvim with the "zh_CN.UTF-8" locale

  • Yukihiro Nakadaira
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30 3:23 AM
      Zhong, Dingkun wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I try to map the alt key to some function in gvim, but it does not work.
      > I use the zh_CN.UTF-8 locale in linux with gnome, and gvim is gtk
      > version. After mapping <M-x> (x is a letter or number key) in insert
      > mode, I get an x in insert mode when type the <M-x> key. But mapping
      > <M-Left> (and <M-Right>...) do work.
      >
      > I change the LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8, the mappings have no problem. But
      > I can not input Chinese if I set LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8. Is there a
      > solution to this problem? Thank you.

      I guess your 'imactivatekey' is not set. In that case, Vim always pass
      inputted key to Input Method. If the Input Method catch the <M-x> key and
      drop the modifier, "x" is inserted. It happened for me when
      GTK_IM_MODULE=xim. I can use <M-x> when 'imactivatekey' is set to something
      or GTK_IM_MODULE=scim (or uim or iiim).

      --
      Yukihiro Nakadaira <hopper2@...>
    • Zhong, Dingkun
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30 3:51 AM
        Thanks for your help. I solve the problem with your instruction.