Can not map the meta key in gvim with the "zh_CN.UTF-8" locale

  • Zhong, Dingkun
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2006
      Hi,
      I try to map the alt key to some function in gvim, but it does not work.
      I use the zh_CN.UTF-8 locale in linux with gnome, and gvim is gtk
      version. After mapping <M-x> (x is a letter or number key) in insert
      mode, I get an x in insert mode when type the <M-x> key. But mapping
      <M-Left> (and <M-Right>...) do work.

      I change the LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8, the mappings have no problem. But
      I can not input Chinese if I set LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8. Is there a
      solution to this problem? Thank you.

      Best regards,

      Dingkun Zhong
    • Yukihiro Nakadaira
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2006
        Zhong, Dingkun wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I try to map the alt key to some function in gvim, but it does not work.
        > I use the zh_CN.UTF-8 locale in linux with gnome, and gvim is gtk
        > version. After mapping <M-x> (x is a letter or number key) in insert
        > mode, I get an x in insert mode when type the <M-x> key. But mapping
        > <M-Left> (and <M-Right>...) do work.
        >
        > I change the LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8, the mappings have no problem. But
        > I can not input Chinese if I set LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8. Is there a
        > solution to this problem? Thank you.

        I guess your 'imactivatekey' is not set. In that case, Vim always pass
        inputted key to Input Method. If the Input Method catch the <M-x> key and
        drop the modifier, "x" is inserted. It happened for me when
        GTK_IM_MODULE=xim. I can use <M-x> when 'imactivatekey' is set to something
        or GTK_IM_MODULE=scim (or uim or iiim).

        --
        Yukihiro Nakadaira <hopper2@...>
      • Zhong, Dingkun
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2006
          Thanks for your help. I solve the problem with your instruction.