Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Fwd: keymap for Romanian?

Expand Messages
  • A.J.Mechelynck
    ... Maybe you could write one yourself? It shouldn t be very hard since IIUC, Romanian uses the Latin alphabet. See :help keymap-file-format about what a
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Alexandru Iancu wrote:
      > Hi, I posted the wrong files.
      > I realised later after I posted while testing. Sorry!
      > Regards,
      > Alexandru IANCU.
      >
      > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      > From: *Alexandru Iancu* <alexandru.iancu@...
      > <mailto:alexandru.iancu@...>>
      > Date: May 21, 2006 3:55 PM
      > Subject: keymap for Romanian?
      > To: vim-multibyte@... <mailto:vim-multibyte@...>
      >
      > Hi all,
      > is already a Romanian keymap file for VIM?
      > I needed to write some text in Romanian and I couldn't find such a
      > keymap on my installed computer neither on the Inet.
      > If there isn't such a keymap file please add my file to your VIM sources.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Alexandru IANCU.
      >
      Maybe you could write one yourself? It shouldn't be very hard since
      IIUC, Romanian uses the Latin alphabet. See ":help keymap-file-format"
      about what a keymap must look like, and my
      $VIMRUNTIME/keymap/esperanto_utf-8.vim, or Bram's
      $VIMRUNTIME/keymap/accents.vim for examples of simple keymaps using
      Latin letters with a few accented letters (in the case of Esperanto:
      c-circumflex, g-circumflex, h-circumflex, j-circumflex, s-circumflex and
      u-breve).

      If and when you succeed in producing a working Romanian keymap, you can
      then submit it to Bram for inclusion into the distribution for the next
      Vim version.

      If your keyboard can produce all the letters of Romanian, then you don't
      need a keymap at all; you only need to make sure that 'encoding' is set
      to a charset containing all the letters you need, and that the
      'fileencoding' for the Romanian files you edit is either empty
      (defaulting to the value of 'encoding') or setlocal'ed to a charset
      which also includes all Romanian letters.

      Oh, and if you mean you _already_ wrote one, then please make sure the
      attachment doesn't get lost. I didn't get any "keymap file" with this
      post, nor with your former one. In case vim-multibyte discards
      attachments, maybe you could send it to vim-dev@... and/or to
      bram@... ? Or if your own firewall discards attachments on
      outgoing mail, then send it "inline" (not as attachment) but then you
      should make sure that the format doesn't get garbled (by added or
      subtracted line breaks). Another possibility, if you can do it, is to
      upload the file somewhere convenient on the Web and send its URL to the
      list.


      Best regards,
      Tony.
    • Alexandru Panoiu
      ... I also use Vim to write Romanian. However, I don t use a keymap file, because I prefer to keep my keyboard set to English (United States). Instead of a
      Message 2 of 6 , May 22, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        On 5/21/06, Alexandru Iancu <alexandru.iancu@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > is already a Romanian keymap file for VIM?
        > I needed to write some text in Romanian and I couldn't find such a keymap
        > on my installed computer neither on the Inet.
        > If there isn't such a keymap file please add my file to your VIM sources.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Alexandru IANCU.
        >

        I also use Vim to write Romanian. However, I don't use a keymap file,
        because I prefer to keep my keyboard set to English (United States). Instead
        of a keymap file I use a series of mappings with map <Alt-a>, <Alt-A>,
        <Alt-\>, <Alt-|>, <Alt-i>, <Alt-I>, <Alt-s>, <Alt-S>, <Alt-t> and <Alt-T> to
        aAaAiIsStT with the respective diacriticals. To keep the mapping independent
        of encoding I have set up digraphs. Here's the relevant excerpt from my
        vimrc file:

        set winaltkeys=no " Don't use <Alt> for menu shortcuts
        "
        digraph uA 258 " Latin A with breve
        digraph ua 259 " Latin a with breve
        digraph ^A 194 " Latin A with circumflex
        digraph ^a 226 " Latin a with circumflex
        digraph ^I 206 " Latin I with circumflex
        digraph ^i 238 " Latin i with circumflex
        digraph ,S 350 " Latin S with cedilla
        digraph ,s 351 " Latin s with cedilla
        digraph ,T 354 " Latin T with cedilla
        digraph ,t 355 " Latin t with cedilla
        digraph `\" 8220 " Double high-6 quotation mark
        digraph '\" 8221 " Double high-9 quotation mark
        digraph ,\" 8222 " Double low-9 quotation mark
        digraph << 171 " Double left-pointing guillemot
        digraph >> 187 " Double right-pointing guillemot
        "
        noremap! <M-A> <C-K>uA| " Latin A with breve
        noremap! <M-a> <C-K>ua| " Latin a with breve
        noremap! <M-\|> <C-K>^A| " Latin A with circumflexu
        noremap! <M-\> <C-K>^a| " Latin a with circumflex
        noremap! <M-I> <C-K>^I| " Latin I with circumflex
        noremap! <M-i> <C-K>^i| " Latin i with circumflex
        noremap! <M-S> <C-K>,S| " Latin S with cedilla
        noremap! <M-s> <C-K>,s| " Latin s with cedilla
        noremap! <M-T> <C-K>,T| " Latin T with cedilla
        noremap! <M-t> <C-K>,t| " Latin t with cedilla
        The digraphs are defined such that if the current encoding does not have the
        relevant character then an ASCII approximation is inserted.

        Best regards from Bucharest,
        Alexandru Panoiu
      • A.J.Mechelynck
        ... Note that there are already standard international digraphs for all those letters (as defined in RFC1345): - a( is a-breve, similarly for other letters
        Message 3 of 6 , May 22, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          Alexandru Panoiu wrote:
          > On 5/21/06, Alexandru Iancu <alexandru.iancu@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi all,
          >> is already a Romanian keymap file for VIM?
          >> I needed to write some text in Romanian and I couldn't find such a
          >> keymap
          >> on my installed computer neither on the Inet.
          >> If there isn't such a keymap file please add my file to your VIM
          >> sources.
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >>
          >> Alexandru IANCU.
          >>
          >
          > I also use Vim to write Romanian. However, I don't use a keymap file,
          > because I prefer to keep my keyboard set to English (United States).
          > Instead
          > of a keymap file I use a series of mappings with map <Alt-a>, <Alt-A>,
          > <Alt-\>, <Alt-|>, <Alt-i>, <Alt-I>, <Alt-s>, <Alt-S>, <Alt-t> and
          > <Alt-T> to
          > aAaAiIsStT with the respective diacriticals. To keep the mapping
          > independent
          > of encoding I have set up digraphs. Here's the relevant excerpt from my
          > vimrc file:
          >
          > set winaltkeys=no " Don't use <Alt> for menu
          > shortcuts
          > "
          > digraph uA 258 " Latin A with breve
          > digraph ua 259 " Latin a with breve
          > digraph ^A 194 " Latin A with circumflex
          > digraph ^a 226 " Latin a with circumflex
          > digraph ^I 206 " Latin I with circumflex
          > digraph ^i 238 " Latin i with circumflex
          > digraph ,S 350 " Latin S with cedilla
          > digraph ,s 351 " Latin s with cedilla
          > digraph ,T 354 " Latin T with cedilla
          > digraph ,t 355 " Latin t with cedilla
          > digraph `\" 8220 " Double high-6 quotation mark
          > digraph '\" 8221 " Double high-9 quotation mark
          > digraph ,\" 8222 " Double low-9 quotation mark
          > digraph << 171 " Double left-pointing guillemot
          > digraph >> 187 " Double right-pointing guillemot
          > "
          > noremap! <M-A> <C-K>uA| " Latin A with breve
          > noremap! <M-a> <C-K>ua| " Latin a with breve
          > noremap! <M-\|> <C-K>^A| " Latin A with circumflexu
          > noremap! <M-\> <C-K>^a| " Latin a with circumflex
          > noremap! <M-I> <C-K>^I| " Latin I with circumflex
          > noremap! <M-i> <C-K>^i| " Latin i with circumflex
          > noremap! <M-S> <C-K>,S| " Latin S with cedilla
          > noremap! <M-s> <C-K>,s| " Latin s with cedilla
          > noremap! <M-T> <C-K>,T| " Latin T with cedilla
          > noremap! <M-t> <C-K>,t| " Latin t with cedilla
          > The digraphs are defined such that if the current encoding does not
          > have the
          > relevant character then an ASCII approximation is inserted.
          >
          > Best regards from Bucharest,
          > Alexandru Panoiu
          >
          Note that there are already standard international digraphs for all
          those letters (as defined in RFC1345):
          - a( is a-breve, similarly for other letters with breve
          - a> is circumflex, similarly for other letters with circumflex
          - s, is s-cedilla, similarly for other letters with cedilla
          - << and >> are standard, you don't need to define them
          - 8220 to 8222 are "6 "9 and :9 respectively.

          You can see them (as well as all other predefined digraphs) by typing
          ":digraphs" after setting 'encoding' to UTF-8 but before defining any
          digraphs yourself.

          See
          :help :digraphs
          :help digraphs-default


          Best regards,
          Tony.
        • Alexandru Iancu
          Hi all, because I needed only the 5 diacritics from Romanian I used a version of Alexandru Panoiu s method: I use shortcuts but I didn t defined again the
          Message 4 of 6 , May 24, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Hi all,
             
            because I needed only the 5 diacritics from Romanian I used a version of Alexandru Panoiu's method: I use shortcuts but I didn't defined again the Romanian digraphs because as Tony outlined they all are already defined. By the way Tony, I think Alexandru is somehow right when he defined them once again because one may not use the latest versions of vim or even not use vim but a flavour of it and this will guarantee it will work no matter what he/she will use.
            Anyway I also made a very reduced version of Romanian keymap file for utf-8. It only defines the 5 diacritics. I'll not continue adding mappings to it so if there is someone kind and willing to complete that file is welcomed to do so. Thanks.
            I sent this email also to the email addresses you told me(Tony) in the hope that this time the attached file will be received properly.
             
            For the ones interested in the shortcuts method of typing Romanian diacritics see the previous emails of Alexandru Panoiu in this thread.
             
            Best regards,
            Alexandru IANCU.

             
            On 5/23/06, A.J.Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...
            > wrote:
            Alexandru Panoiu wrote:
            > On 5/21/06, Alexandru Iancu < alexandru.iancu@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hi all,
            >> is already a Romanian keymap file for VIM?
            >> I needed to write some text in Romanian and I couldn't find such a
            >> keymap
            >> on my installed computer neither on the Inet.
            >> If there isn't such a keymap file please add my file to your VIM
            >> sources.
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >>
            >> Alexandru IANCU.
            >>
            >
            > I also use Vim to write Romanian. However, I don't use a keymap file,
            > because I prefer to keep my keyboard set to English (United States).
            > Instead
            > of a keymap file I use a series of mappings with map <Alt-a>, <Alt-A>,
            > <Alt-\>, <Alt-|>, <Alt-i>, <Alt-I>, <Alt-s>, <Alt-S>, <Alt-t> and
            > <Alt-T> to
            > aAaAiIsStT with the respective diacriticals. To keep the mapping
            > independent
            > of encoding I have set up digraphs. Here's the relevant excerpt from my
            > vimrc file:
            >
            > set winaltkeys=no                       " Don't use <Alt> for menu
            > shortcuts
            > "
            > digraph uA      258                     " Latin A with breve
            > digraph ua      259                     " Latin a with breve
            > digraph ^A      194                     " Latin A with circumflex
            > digraph ^a      226                     " Latin a with circumflex
            > digraph ^I      206                     " Latin I with circumflex
            > digraph ^i      238                     " Latin i with circumflex
            > digraph ,S      350                     " Latin S with cedilla
            > digraph ,s      351                     " Latin s with cedilla
            > digraph ,T      354                     " Latin T with cedilla
            > digraph ,t      355                     " Latin t with cedilla
            > digraph `\"     8220                    " Double high-6 quotation mark
            > digraph '\"     8221                    " Double high-9 quotation mark
            > digraph ,\"     8222                    " Double low-9 quotation mark
            > digraph <<      171                     " Double left-pointing guillemot
            > digraph >>      187                     " Double right-pointing guillemot
            > "
            > noremap! <M-A>  <C-K>uA|                " Latin A with breve
            > noremap! <M-a>  <C-K>ua|                " Latin a with breve
            > noremap! <M-\|> <C-K>^A|                " Latin A with circumflexu
            > noremap! <M-\>  <C-K>^a|                " Latin a with circumflex
            > noremap! <M-I>  <C-K>^I|                " Latin I with circumflex
            > noremap! <M-i>  <C-K>^i|                " Latin i with circumflex
            > noremap! <M-S>  <C-K>,S|                " Latin S with cedilla
            > noremap! <M-s>  <C-K>,s|                " Latin s with cedilla
            > noremap! <M-T>  <C-K>,T|                " Latin T with cedilla
            > noremap! <M-t>  <C-K>,t|                " Latin t with cedilla
            > The digraphs are defined such that if the current encoding does not
            > have the
            > relevant character then an ASCII approximation is inserted.
            >
            > Best regards from Bucharest,
            > Alexandru Panoiu
            >
            Note that there are already standard international digraphs for all
            those letters (as defined in RFC1345):
            - a( is a-breve, similarly for other letters with breve
            - a> is circumflex, similarly for other letters with circumflex
            - s, is s-cedilla, similarly for other letters with cedilla
            - << and >> are standard, you don't need to define them
            - 8220 to 8222 are "6 "9 and :9 respectively.

            You can see them (as well as all other predefined digraphs) by typing
            ":digraphs" after setting 'encoding' to UTF-8 but before defining any
            digraphs yourself.

            See
               :help :digraphs
               :help digraphs-default


            Best regards,
            Tony.

          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.