Re: About Unicode CJK Unified Extension B

  • Nikolai Weibull
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
      On 3/1/06, Edward G.J. Lee <edt1023@...> wrote:
      > We need four bytes, I think? We need cover the Unicode range from
      > 0x10000 to 0x10FFFF.

      We need ceil(log2(0x10FFFF)) = 21 bits, or, more realistically, 24
      bits, or, even more realistically, 32 bits. I don't think we need to
      worry about memory consumption for the display of characters though.
      At least on any modern system. Perhaps the MS-DOS port needs special
      treatment...

      nikolai
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 6, 2006
        I have made changes to the code to use 32 bits for storing Unicode
        characters. It's included in last nights snapshot.

        I have no way to try it out. It's not unlikely that there are a few
        problems.

        For Win32 I changed the conversion from UTF-8 to UCS-2 to produce
        UTF-16. I don't know if that is sufficient for drawing the characters.

        GTK2 does everything with UTF-8, thus it should work as it is.

        I also added 'maxcombine' to support up to 6 combining characters.
        That's enough for everyone, right?

        51. You put a pillow case over your laptop so your lover doesn't see it while
        you are pretending to catch your breath.