Re: About Unicode CJK Unified Extension B

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 28, 2006
      Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > It's not only GTK: I get the same symptoms on Windows: any CJK character
      > above U+FFFF is shown in gvim (using the default highlights and 'syntax'
      > set to something nonexistent, e.g., ":set syntax=nononono") as a
      > double-wide _blue_ question mark in any CJK font. Characters not in the
      > font but below U+FFFF are displayed in a font-specific way, e.g. as a
      > double-wide space in MingLiU (a Traditional Chinese font) or in NSimSun
      > (a Simplified Chinese font), as a bullet in MsGothic (a Japanese font),
      > as a kind of small "carpenter's square" in GulimChe (a Korean font), etc.

      That is to be expected, Vim only supports 16 bit characters for Win32.
      MS-Windows has the lousy UTF-16 solution for the rest, that hasn't been
      implemented yet. I expect this to get very messy...

      3. Your bookmark takes 15 minutes to scroll from top to bottom.

    • Edward G.J. Lee
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 28, 2006
        Hello Bram,

        On Tue, Feb 28, 2006, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > That is to be expected, Vim only supports 16 bit characters for Win32.
        > MS-Windows has the lousy UTF-16 solution for the rest, that hasn't been
        > implemented yet. I expect this to get very messy...

        At least under GNU/Linux or *BSD box, the console vim(not GUI)
        should display beyond U+FFFF characters correctly in UTF-8
        terminal with full Unicode support installed font of X. Am
        I right?

        My problem is it can't.

        Do you have any idea? Thanks.

        Edward
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 28, 2006
          Edward G.J. Lee wrote:

          > On Tue, Feb 28, 2006, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > >
          > > That is to be expected, Vim only supports 16 bit characters for Win32.
          > > MS-Windows has the lousy UTF-16 solution for the rest, that hasn't been
          > > implemented yet. I expect this to get very messy...
          >
          > At least under GNU/Linux or *BSD box, the console vim(not GUI)
          > should display beyond U+FFFF characters correctly in UTF-8
          > terminal with full Unicode support installed font of X. Am
          > I right?
          >
          > My problem is it can't.
          >
          > Do you have any idea? Thanks.

          Oh, I forgot something. The structures used for the screen are limited
          to 16 bit, because there were no fonts for other characters. If you say
          that you can actually display characters above 0x10000 I'll have to
          change that.

          Do we need three or four bytes? We'll probably need to use four bytes
          anyway, since there is no data type for three bytes.

          Since using these characters is rare, I'll probably have to make it a
          configuration option to avoid wasting memory. There also still is a
          todo item to support more than 2 combining characters. We may end up
          using 20 bytes per screen position.... The number of combining
          characters could be an option, but doing that for the number of bytes
          per character would be complicated. That probably has to be a feature,
          thus decided at compile time.

          8. You spend half of the plane trip with your laptop on your lap...and your
          child in the overhead compartment.

        • Edward G.J. Lee
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
            Dear Bram,

            On Tue, Feb 28, 2006, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Oh, I forgot something. The structures used for the screen are limited
            > to 16 bit, because there were no fonts for other characters. If you say
            > that you can actually display characters above 0x10000 I'll have to
            > change that.

            Yes, I can display U+20000..U+2A6DF correctly in my gnome-terminal.
            I have a simple Ruby script to generate all those characters,

            http://edt1023.sayya.org/ruby/u.rb
            http://edt1023.sayya.org/ruby/tmp/cjkextb.png

            > Do we need three or four bytes? We'll probably need to use four bytes
            > anyway, since there is no data type for three bytes.

            We need four bytes, I think? We need cover the Unicode range from
            0x10000 to 0x10FFFF.

            > Since using these characters is rare, I'll probably have to make it a
            > configuration option to avoid wasting memory. There also still is a
            > todo item to support more than 2 combining characters. We may end up
            > using 20 bytes per screen position.... The number of combining
            > characters could be an option, but doing that for the number of bytes
            > per character would be complicated. That probably has to be a feature,
            > thus decided at compile time.

            I have to admit that those characters are rare used in an ordinary
            artcile. But the problem is people's name in CJKV area, especial
            Chinese people. They may use characters in Unicode CJKV Unified
            Extension B, and I have to type the name correct.

            And I'm makeing an input table of XIM in Chinese, as you may know,
            the table need include completely all the character in Extension B.
            So I need a familiar editor to type those characters and its keys.

            The another example is LaTeX CJK. The cvs version of LaTeX CJK had
            full support of Unicode range now, and I need to edit the example
            for testing,

            http://edt1023.sayya.org/tex/tmp/nobmp2.tex
            http://edt1023.sayya.org/tex/tmp/nobmp2.pdf

            So, it's great to support CJKV Unified Extension B as an option of
            Vim. Thanks in advance.

            Edward
          • Nikolai Weibull
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
              On 3/1/06, Edward G.J. Lee <edt1023@...> wrote:
              > We need four bytes, I think? We need cover the Unicode range from
              > 0x10000 to 0x10FFFF.

              We need ceil(log2(0x10FFFF)) = 21 bits, or, more realistically, 24
              bits, or, even more realistically, 32 bits. I don't think we need to
              worry about memory consumption for the display of characters though.
              At least on any modern system. Perhaps the MS-DOS port needs special
              treatment...

              nikolai
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 6, 2006
                I have made changes to the code to use 32 bits for storing Unicode
                characters. It's included in last nights snapshot.

                I have no way to try it out. It's not unlikely that there are a few
                problems.

                For Win32 I changed the conversion from UTF-8 to UCS-2 to produce
                UTF-16. I don't know if that is sufficient for drawing the characters.

                GTK2 does everything with UTF-8, thus it should work as it is.

                I also added 'maxcombine' to support up to 6 combining characters.
                That's enough for everyone, right?

                51. You put a pillow case over your laptop so your lover doesn't see it while
                you are pretending to catch your breath.