[vim-multibyte] Re: multibyte patch

  • Park Chong-Dae
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 24, 2000
      On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 11:52:16AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > The idea is that, when moving forward, when the cursor is currently on a
      > leading byte, one extra column is skipped to avoid the trailing byte. When
      > moving backwards, a trailing byte is detected and skipped (this didn't change).

      How about this patch?

      Chong-Dae Park
    • Park Chong-Dae
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 24, 2000
        On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 12:57:35AM +0900, Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
        > Your patch yet has the problem that Bram pointed out...
        > I think, 'col' could be advanced beyond of the line for MULTI_BYTE.

        Oops.. I forgot the problem.
        However Bram's code is more efficient than mine. Because IsLeadByte() is
        faster than IsTrailByte(). So I make another patch.
        This is REAL multibyte patch for searchc().
        Now, you can search DBCS using f or F correctly.

        Chong-Dae Park
      • Park Chong-Dae
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 25, 2000
          On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 09:31:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > This looks OK to me. But let's hear it from people actually using double-byte
          > characters.
          >
          > One simplification that appears to be possible:
          >
          > > if (type)
          > > + {
          > > col -= dir;
          > > +#ifdef MULTI_BYTE
          > > + if (is_dbcs && IsTrailByte(p, &p[col]))
          > > + col -= dir; /* skip multibyte's trail byte */
          > > +#endif
          > > + }
          >
          > I think this can be changed to:
          >
          > if (type)
          > {
          > /* backup to before the character (possibly double-byte) */
          > col -= dir;
          > #ifdef MULTI_BYTE
          > if (char_bytes == 2)
          > col -= dir;
          > #endif
          > }
          >
          > This avoids a IsTrailByte() call, which can be slow. But please check that
          > this is correct.

          I think it does not work.

          Suppose this setting.

          XY AB

          Guess you are on the first 'X'.
          When typing the 't ' command, it moves to space first.
          Now "type == TURE", it moves to opposite direction(in this case, backward).
          The cursor goes to Y position, where is the second byte of "XY".
          (But char_bytes == 1). This occurs in forward search only. In backward search
          case('T' cmannd cases: the opposite movement is now forward direction),
          your code would work faster. However this routine is called only once for each
          call. So I choose the simple case. I think the performance is not important
          here.

          For the performance, mb_byte1(), mb_byte2(), and IsTrailByte() should be
          avoided. In my patch submitted yesterday(screen.c patch for screen_line()),
          I can remove mb_isbyte1() call. I'll post the patch if the submitted one
          does not have any problem. (My new patch would be just a performance tuning.)

          --
          Chong-Dae Park
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 25, 2000
            Park Chong-Dae wrote:

            > > This avoids a IsTrailByte() call, which can be slow. But please check that
            > > this is correct.
            >
            > I think it does not work.

            Thanks for checking.

            > XY AB
            >
            > Guess you are on the first 'X'.
            > When typing the 't ' command, it moves to space first.
            > Now "type == TURE", it moves to opposite direction(in this case, backward).
            > The cursor goes to Y position, where is the second byte of "XY".
            > (But char_bytes == 1). This occurs in forward search only. In backward search
            > case('T' cmannd cases: the opposite movement is now forward direction),
            > your code would work faster. However this routine is called only once for each
            > call. So I choose the simple case. I think the performance is not important
            > here.

            Well, when using long lines this can be important anyway. And it's easy to
            make it like this:

            if (type)
            {
            /* backup to before the character (possibly double-byte) */
            col -= dir;
            #ifdef MULTI_BYTE
            if (is_dbcs
            && ((dir < 0 && char_bytes == 2)
            ||(dir > 0 && IsTrailByte(p, &p[col]))))
            col -= dir;
            #endif
            }

            Again, please check that this works correctly.

            > For the performance, mb_byte1(), mb_byte2(), and IsTrailByte() should be
            > avoided. In my patch submitted yesterday(screen.c patch for screen_line()),
            > I can remove mb_isbyte1() call. I'll post the patch if the submitted one
            > does not have any problem. (My new patch would be just a performance tuning.)

            Performance for screen_line() is very important. It's used for all display
            updating.

            --
            Microsoft's definition of a boolean: TRUE, FALSE, MAYBE
            "Embrace and extend"...?

          • Park Chong-Dae
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 25, 2000
              On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 07:54:01PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > Well, when using long lines this can be important anyway. And it's easy to
              > make it like this:
              >
              > if (type)
              > {
              > /* backup to before the character (possibly double-byte) */
              > col -= dir;
              > #ifdef MULTI_BYTE
              > if (is_dbcs
              > && ((dir < 0 && char_bytes == 2)
              > ||(dir > 0 && IsTrailByte(p, &p[col]))))
              > col -= dir;
              > #endif
              > }
              >
              > Again, please check that this works correctly.

              It seems work correctly.

              > > For the performance, mb_byte1(), mb_byte2(), and IsTrailByte() should be
              > > avoided. In my patch submitted yesterday(screen.c patch for screen_line()),
              > > I can remove mb_isbyte1() call. I'll post the patch if the submitted one
              > > does not have any problem. (My new patch would be just a performance tuning.)
              >
              > Performance for screen_line() is very important. It's used for all display
              > updating.

              If performance is most important, how about to make IsLeadByte as a MACRO
              function? In WIN32 or BROKEN_LOCALE, It could be substituted as a MACRO.
              And IsLeadByte is called most frequently in the MULTI_BYTE environment.

              PS: Is there a safe and efficient way to guess IsLeadByte
              without calling mblen()?

              --
              Chong-Dae Park
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 26, 2000
                Park Chong-Dae wrote:

                > > Performance for screen_line() is very important. It's used for all display
                > > updating.
                >
                > If performance is most important, how about to make IsLeadByte as a MACRO
                > function? In WIN32 or BROKEN_LOCALE, It could be substituted as a MACRO.
                > And IsLeadByte is called most frequently in the MULTI_BYTE environment.

                Would be possible. However, IsLeadByte() only takes one argument, and it does
                do a bit of work. Thus the overhead of the function call shouldn't be that
                much. Just try to keep the number of calls to IsLeadByte() low.

                --
                FATHER: One day, lad, all this will be yours ...
                PRINCE: What - the curtains?