[vim-multibyte] Re: multibyte patch

  • Park Chong-Dae
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 24, 2000
      On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 11:52:16AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > The idea is that, when moving forward, when the cursor is currently on a
      > leading byte, one extra column is skipped to avoid the trailing byte. When
      > moving backwards, a trailing byte is detected and skipped (this didn't change).

      How about this patch?

      Chong-Dae Park
    • Taro Muraoka
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 24, 2000
        Hello,

        > Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
        >
        > > Guess all the char is multibyte char.
        > >
        > > XY XY XY
        > >
        > > Guess cursor is on the first X. Now type 'f '.
        > > by 'col += dir', it moves first 'Y'.
        > > Because vim checks 'dir < 0' for trail byte,
        > > Now cursor moves to ' ' by IsLeadByte().
        > > by 'col += dir', cursor moves to 2nd 'X' (skips first ' ').
        > > by IsLeadByte, cursor moves to second 'Y'.
        > > by col += dir, cursor moves to second ' '.
        > > and break by p[col]==c.
        >
        > I understand the problem now. How about this patch to fix it:

        I understand too. And test Bram's patch, it works very well.
        This bug is a my mistake. Sorry all.
        ----
        Taro Muraoka <koron@...>
      • Sung-Hyun Nam
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 24, 2000
          Park Chong-Dae wrote:

          > On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 11:52:16AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > The idea is that, when moving forward, when the cursor is
          > > currently on a leading byte, one extra column is skipped to avoid
          > > the trailing byte. When moving backwards, a trailing byte is
          > > detected and skipped (this didn't change).
          >
          > How about this patch?

          Your patch yet has the problem that Bram pointed out...
          I think, 'col' could be advanced beyond of the line for MULTI_BYTE.

          namsh
        • Park Chong-Dae
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 24, 2000
            On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 12:57:35AM +0900, Sung-Hyun Nam wrote:
            > Your patch yet has the problem that Bram pointed out...
            > I think, 'col' could be advanced beyond of the line for MULTI_BYTE.

            Oops.. I forgot the problem.
            However Bram's code is more efficient than mine. Because IsLeadByte() is
            faster than IsTrailByte(). So I make another patch.
            This is REAL multibyte patch for searchc().
            Now, you can search DBCS using f or F correctly.

            Chong-Dae Park
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 24, 2000
              Park Chong-Dae wrote:

              > Oops.. I forgot the problem.
              > However Bram's code is more efficient than mine. Because IsLeadByte() is
              > faster than IsTrailByte(). So I make another patch.
              > This is REAL multibyte patch for searchc().
              > Now, you can search DBCS using f or F correctly.

              This looks OK to me. But let's hear it from people actually using double-byte
              characters.

              One simplification that appears to be possible:

              > if (type)
              > + {
              > col -= dir;
              > +#ifdef MULTI_BYTE
              > + if (is_dbcs && IsTrailByte(p, &p[col]))
              > + col -= dir; /* skip multibyte's trail byte */
              > +#endif
              > + }

              I think this can be changed to:

              if (type)
              {
              /* backup to before the character (possibly double-byte) */
              col -= dir;
              #ifdef MULTI_BYTE
              if (char_bytes == 2)
              col -= dir;
              #endif
              }

              This avoids a IsTrailByte() call, which can be slow. But please check that
              this is correct.

              --
              He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp
              Or to have his eyes gouged out and his elbows broken;

            • Park Chong-Dae
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 25, 2000
                On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 09:31:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > This looks OK to me. But let's hear it from people actually using double-byte
                > characters.
                >
                > One simplification that appears to be possible:
                >
                > > if (type)
                > > + {
                > > col -= dir;
                > > +#ifdef MULTI_BYTE
                > > + if (is_dbcs && IsTrailByte(p, &p[col]))
                > > + col -= dir; /* skip multibyte's trail byte */
                > > +#endif
                > > + }
                >
                > I think this can be changed to:
                >
                > if (type)
                > {
                > /* backup to before the character (possibly double-byte) */
                > col -= dir;
                > #ifdef MULTI_BYTE
                > if (char_bytes == 2)
                > col -= dir;
                > #endif
                > }
                >
                > This avoids a IsTrailByte() call, which can be slow. But please check that
                > this is correct.

                I think it does not work.

                Suppose this setting.

                XY AB

                Guess you are on the first 'X'.
                When typing the 't ' command, it moves to space first.
                Now "type == TURE", it moves to opposite direction(in this case, backward).
                The cursor goes to Y position, where is the second byte of "XY".
                (But char_bytes == 1). This occurs in forward search only. In backward search
                case('T' cmannd cases: the opposite movement is now forward direction),
                your code would work faster. However this routine is called only once for each
                call. So I choose the simple case. I think the performance is not important
                here.

                For the performance, mb_byte1(), mb_byte2(), and IsTrailByte() should be
                avoided. In my patch submitted yesterday(screen.c patch for screen_line()),
                I can remove mb_isbyte1() call. I'll post the patch if the submitted one
                does not have any problem. (My new patch would be just a performance tuning.)

                --
                Chong-Dae Park
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 25, 2000
                  Park Chong-Dae wrote:

                  > > This avoids a IsTrailByte() call, which can be slow. But please check that
                  > > this is correct.
                  >
                  > I think it does not work.

                  Thanks for checking.

                  > XY AB
                  >
                  > Guess you are on the first 'X'.
                  > When typing the 't ' command, it moves to space first.
                  > Now "type == TURE", it moves to opposite direction(in this case, backward).
                  > The cursor goes to Y position, where is the second byte of "XY".
                  > (But char_bytes == 1). This occurs in forward search only. In backward search
                  > case('T' cmannd cases: the opposite movement is now forward direction),
                  > your code would work faster. However this routine is called only once for each
                  > call. So I choose the simple case. I think the performance is not important
                  > here.

                  Well, when using long lines this can be important anyway. And it's easy to
                  make it like this:

                  if (type)
                  {
                  /* backup to before the character (possibly double-byte) */
                  col -= dir;
                  #ifdef MULTI_BYTE
                  if (is_dbcs
                  && ((dir < 0 && char_bytes == 2)
                  ||(dir > 0 && IsTrailByte(p, &p[col]))))
                  col -= dir;
                  #endif
                  }

                  Again, please check that this works correctly.

                  > For the performance, mb_byte1(), mb_byte2(), and IsTrailByte() should be
                  > avoided. In my patch submitted yesterday(screen.c patch for screen_line()),
                  > I can remove mb_isbyte1() call. I'll post the patch if the submitted one
                  > does not have any problem. (My new patch would be just a performance tuning.)

                  Performance for screen_line() is very important. It's used for all display
                  updating.

                  --
                  Microsoft's definition of a boolean: TRUE, FALSE, MAYBE
                  "Embrace and extend"...?

                • Park Chong-Dae
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 25, 2000
                    On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 07:54:01PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > Well, when using long lines this can be important anyway. And it's easy to
                    > make it like this:
                    >
                    > if (type)
                    > {
                    > /* backup to before the character (possibly double-byte) */
                    > col -= dir;
                    > #ifdef MULTI_BYTE
                    > if (is_dbcs
                    > && ((dir < 0 && char_bytes == 2)
                    > ||(dir > 0 && IsTrailByte(p, &p[col]))))
                    > col -= dir;
                    > #endif
                    > }
                    >
                    > Again, please check that this works correctly.

                    It seems work correctly.

                    > > For the performance, mb_byte1(), mb_byte2(), and IsTrailByte() should be
                    > > avoided. In my patch submitted yesterday(screen.c patch for screen_line()),
                    > > I can remove mb_isbyte1() call. I'll post the patch if the submitted one
                    > > does not have any problem. (My new patch would be just a performance tuning.)
                    >
                    > Performance for screen_line() is very important. It's used for all display
                    > updating.

                    If performance is most important, how about to make IsLeadByte as a MACRO
                    function? In WIN32 or BROKEN_LOCALE, It could be substituted as a MACRO.
                    And IsLeadByte is called most frequently in the MULTI_BYTE environment.

                    PS: Is there a safe and efficient way to guess IsLeadByte
                    without calling mblen()?

                    --
                    Chong-Dae Park
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 26, 2000
                      Park Chong-Dae wrote:

                      > > Performance for screen_line() is very important. It's used for all display
                      > > updating.
                      >
                      > If performance is most important, how about to make IsLeadByte as a MACRO
                      > function? In WIN32 or BROKEN_LOCALE, It could be substituted as a MACRO.
                      > And IsLeadByte is called most frequently in the MULTI_BYTE environment.

                      Would be possible. However, IsLeadByte() only takes one argument, and it does
                      do a bit of work. Thus the overhead of the function call shouldn't be that
                      much. Just try to keep the number of calls to IsLeadByte() low.

                      --
                      FATHER: One day, lad, all this will be yours ...
                      PRINCE: What - the curtains?