[vim-multibyte] Re: one bug & two more things

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2000
      Toni Gaya wrote:

      > > > OK, if I type "CTRL-K", "a", "SPACE", I get "�" character on screen. But
      > > > It's not the correct way. The "normal" way to get it in keyboards like
      > > > spanish, french, ... is typing a "'" character (that is on the
      > > > keyboard), and then a "a" character. "I suppose" a function of Xwindow
      > > > must exist that allow you read in a transparent way (i.e., directly from
      > > > Vim, without doing "strangerous things") the "�" character.
      > >
      > > Aha, that's the dead key problem. This is a known problem. Unfortunately
      > > I don't know how to fix it, and I don't have a keyboard to try it out.
      > > You could try compiling with the X-input method (XIM) enabled, perhaps
      > > that will help.
      >
      > OK!!! IT WORKS!!!!
      > Yesterday I modify file /vim-5.6/src/Makefile, enabling #CONF_OPT_INPUT =
      > --enable-xim deleting # on this file, but it not works. Today, I have used
      > /.configure --enable-xim , and now it works WELL.

      OK, thus the X-input method (XIM) is required for this.

      > Now, you must decide if it must be enabled by default or no (I think it is
      > important for spanish, french,... all users that uses accutes -or accents-
      > to have it enabled by default, but I don't know the program code and I don't
      > now if it has something "bad" secondary efecct to have it enabled)

      Enabling the XIM by default might cause problems for some people. I would not
      want to take the risk right now. I wonder if some part of the XIM feature
      could be included though. For example, the call to XtSetLanguageProc().
      That looks harmless for people not really using XIM.

      224. You set up your own Web page. You set up a Web page for each
      of your kids... and your pets.