[vim-multibyte] Re: new eval feature for multibyte

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20, 2000
      Taro Muraoka wrote:

      > I add new two eval functions. These work as interface to
      > IsLeadByte and IsTrailByte C function. It make easy to create
      > script that treat multibyte for multibyte-user.

      Although these functions are probably useful, I would like to make them more
      generic. In Vim version 6.0 more multi-byte encodings will be supported,
      which use more than two bytes for a character. UTF-8 uses a variable number
      of bytes for a character.

      What would be a more generic function? Perhaps one function that returns the
      index of a multi-byte character:
      0 if not on a multi-byte character
      1 if on the first byte of a multi-byte character
      2 if on the second byte of a multi-byte character
      etc.

      Would that be useful?

      189. You put your e-mail address in the upper left-hand corner of envelopes.

    • Taro Muraoka
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20, 2000
        Bram Moolenaar:

        > What would be a more generic function? Perhaps one function that returns the
        > index of a multi-byte character:
        > 0 if not on a multi-byte character
        > 1 if on the first byte of a multi-byte character
        > 2 if on the second byte of a multi-byte character
        > etc.
        >
        > Would that be useful?

        Yes, it seems be useful.
        ----