[vim-multibyte] Unicode and ViM or other editors?

  • R. P. Channing Rodgers, M.D.
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2000
      Dar Vimmers,

      It seems that there is no FAQ for this list (according to the mail
      list handler, anyway) and I can not locate an indexed archive, so I
      hope you will excuse my posting this to the list at large.

      I am stydying Unicode, and am very eager to find tools that will
      handle it, to run under SPARC/Solaris/gcc on my UltraSPARC machine.
      There is an editor called yudit which I am still trying to build.
      I was very intrigued by a screenshot at the ViM web site entitled
      "Gvim and Unicode":

      http://www.vim.org/pics/vim.nam.jpg

      which clearly shows asian fonts in use. I am cc'ing this note to the
      creator of this image. What is the current state of Unicode and ViM?
      Are there any other tools available for my platform? Thanks in advance
      for any helpful remarks...

      Thanks and Cheerio, Rick Rodgers (rodgers@...)
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2000
        Rick Rodgers wrote:

        > I am stydying Unicode, and am very eager to find tools that will
        > handle it, to run under SPARC/Solaris/gcc on my UltraSPARC machine.
        > There is an editor called yudit which I am still trying to build.
        > I was very intrigued by a screenshot at the ViM web site entitled
        > "Gvim and Unicode":
        >
        > http://www.vim.org/pics/vim.nam.jpg
        >
        > which clearly shows asian fonts in use. I am cc'ing this note to the
        > creator of this image. What is the current state of Unicode and ViM?
        > Are there any other tools available for my platform? Thanks in advance
        > for any helpful remarks...

        Unicode support is planned for Vim version 6.0. In Vim 5.x there is
        double-byte support, which can be used for encodings that have a font with
        double-width characters. Thus the current multi-byte support is rather
        limited and doesn't work for Unicode yet.

        169. You hire a housekeeper for your home page.