[vim-multibyte] Re: (fwd) Correct use of UTF-8 under Unix

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 1999
      [There is a discussion on the linux-utf8 maillist about file encodings. Here
      is a reply about the 'fileencoding' option in Vim which you might find
      interesting.]

      Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 20:31:59 +0100 (CET)
      From: PILCH Hartmut <phm@...>
      To: linux-utf8@...
      cc: perl-unicode@...
      Subject: Re: Correct use of UTF-8 under Unix

      On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > So, what now? I certainly would like Vim to be able to handle multiple
      > encodings. The easy way out is to let the user set the 'fileencoding' option.
      > This is actually already working, with these values:
      > ansi default setting, good for most Western languages
      > japan set to use shift-JIS (Windows CP 932) encoding
      > korea set to use Korean DBCS
      > prc use simplified Chinese encoding
      > taiwan use traditional Chinese encoding

      For Japan, Shift-JIS is definitely not enough. You need at least also
      EUC-Japan and iso-2022-jp-2. For the others the situation is similar.
      Emacs uses the MIME names, as does Java.

      Also, Emacs subdivides your 'fileencoding' into a
      'coding-system-for-read' and a 'coding-system-for-write'.

      If in doubt, it is a good idea to follow the Emacs naming. Emacs is
      not yet UTF8 based, but it has thouroughly designed multi-coding
      capabilities with many years of experience and it is the only
      multilingual system that has been in use on Linux. Therefore it
      would also be very helpful, if your vim was able to read the
      multilingual encodings used by Emacs: iso-2022-7bit and emacs-mule.

      Thanks to Otfried Cheong's conversion frontend, I am currently using
      Emacs with the "unicode-utf8" encoding (is that a MIME name?), but
      the other two multilingual encodings will keep staying around for
      quite a while, since it will take a lot of effort to move the core
      of Emacs to Unicode.

      --
      phm

      -