Re: vim print bug

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
      Gamal Hegazi wrote:

      > I am using vim version 6.2 with Arabic Support. It works fine and I can
      > type Arabic text but I cannot get it to print. I tried to use :ha >file1.ps
      > and then print that file using 'lp file1.ps' but the page comes out empty.
      > Also if I use ghostview I can't see any of the Arabic letters, only ?'s. Is
      > there a way to print the Arabic text from vim? Thanks,

      Printing multi-byte characters currently doesn't work. If the
      characters can be mapped to a single-byte character set you can try
      setting 'printencoding'.

      There is a patch to support multi-byte printing, made by Mike Williams.
      It is not available officially yet. You can find it here:

      Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
        Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
        > Gamal Hegazi wrote:
        >
        > > I am using vim version 6.2 with Arabic Support. It works fine and
        > > I can type Arabic text but I cannot get it to print. I tried to
        > > use :ha >file1.ps and then print that file using 'lp file1.ps' but
        > > the page comes out empty. Also if I use ghostview I can't see any
        > > of the Arabic letters, only ?'s. Is there a way to print the
        > > Arabic text from vim? Thanks,
        >
        > Printing multi-byte characters currently doesn't work. If the
        > characters can be mapped to a single-byte character set you can try
        > setting 'printencoding'.
        >
        > There is a patch to support multi-byte printing, made by Mike
        > Williams.
        > It is not available officially yet. You can find it here:

        > Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks.
        >
        > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net
        > \\\ /// Sponsor Vim, vote for features --
        > http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\ \\\ Project leader for
        > A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org /// \\\ Help AIDS victims, buy
        > here: http://ICCF-Holland.org/click1.html ///

        I know some people will howl me up a tree for this, but in the meantime (if,
        for instance, you don't have access to a compiler), you can write the file
        (or part of file) to be printed as a Unicode document, then print it in a
        program which can print Arabic. In Windows, for instance, WordPad can read
        utf-8 with BOM (i.e. set encoding=utf8 | setlocal fileencoding=utf8 bomb)
        and it can print Arabic using much more beautiful fonts than gvim's Courier.

        Regards,
        Tony