vim print bug

  • Gamal Hegazi
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
      Hello Bram,
      I am using vim version 6.2 with Arabic Support. It works fine and I can
      type Arabic text but I cannot get it to print. I tried to use :ha >file1.ps
      and then print that file using 'lp file1.ps' but the page comes out empty.
      Also if I use ghostview I can't see any of the Arabic letters, only ?'s. Is
      there a way to print the Arabic text from vim? Thanks,

      gamal

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
        Gamal Hegazi wrote:

        > I am using vim version 6.2 with Arabic Support. It works fine and I can
        > type Arabic text but I cannot get it to print. I tried to use :ha >file1.ps
        > and then print that file using 'lp file1.ps' but the page comes out empty.
        > Also if I use ghostview I can't see any of the Arabic letters, only ?'s. Is
        > there a way to print the Arabic text from vim? Thanks,

        Printing multi-byte characters currently doesn't work. If the
        characters can be mapped to a single-byte character set you can try
        setting 'printencoding'.

        There is a patch to support multi-byte printing, made by Mike Williams.
        It is not available officially yet. You can find it here:

        Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
          Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
          > Gamal Hegazi wrote:
          >
          > > I am using vim version 6.2 with Arabic Support. It works fine and
          > > I can type Arabic text but I cannot get it to print. I tried to
          > > use :ha >file1.ps and then print that file using 'lp file1.ps' but
          > > the page comes out empty. Also if I use ghostview I can't see any
          > > of the Arabic letters, only ?'s. Is there a way to print the
          > > Arabic text from vim? Thanks,
          >
          > Printing multi-byte characters currently doesn't work. If the
          > characters can be mapped to a single-byte character set you can try
          > setting 'printencoding'.
          >
          > There is a patch to support multi-byte printing, made by Mike
          > Williams.
          > It is not available officially yet. You can find it here:

          > Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks.
          >
          > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net
          > \\\ /// Sponsor Vim, vote for features --
          > http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\ \\\ Project leader for
          > A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org /// \\\ Help AIDS victims, buy
          > here: http://ICCF-Holland.org/click1.html ///

          I know some people will howl me up a tree for this, but in the meantime (if,
          for instance, you don't have access to a compiler), you can write the file
          (or part of file) to be printed as a Unicode document, then print it in a
          program which can print Arabic. In Windows, for instance, WordPad can read
          utf-8 with BOM (i.e. set encoding=utf8 | setlocal fileencoding=utf8 bomb)
          and it can print Arabic using much more beautiful fonts than gvim's Courier.

          Regards,
          Tony