Re: Multi-byte printing patch (long)

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2003
      Mike Williams wrote:

      > Here is a new patch to provide multi-byte printing from VIM. This
      > version supports printing of Japanese, Traditional and Simplified
      > Chinese, and Korean, including half-width characters.

      Great!

      I'll await comments. Everbody: Please try out this patch and help
      improving it.

      I had a reference to a patch from Motonobu Ichimura in my todo list.
      Did you use this?

      33. You name your children Eudora, Mozilla and Dotcom.

    • Mike Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2003
        Hi,

        On 15 Dec 2003 at 17:40, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > I had a reference to a patch from Motonobu Ichimura in my todo list.
        > Did you use this?

        I had a look at the patch, but while it "worked" in one sense, it was
        not "correct". My generates the correct DSC comments for the fonts
        and encodings/charsets, copes with some of the idiosyncracies of
        multi-byte printing in GhostScript, and allows the use of Courier for
        the ASCII code range. which the patch (and previous attempts) did
        not.

        It also allows the user to define their own modified character set.
        I believe there are code ranges in various national character sets
        marked as private, which allow for the specification of special
        characters to be printed for certain codes. I haven't documented
        this bit since the main thing is to try out the new options and
        generated output. Once that seems to working I can describe how to
        use custom character set definitions for printing.

        (I am having problems with this mailing list - not all emails are
        getting through to me. I'll try and remember to view the archive on
        Yahoo groups, but people may want to cc me on any emails until the
        problem is sorted.)

        TTFN

        Mike
        --