Re: [patch] hardcopy patch for vim-6.2

  • Mike Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
      On 24 Oct 2003 at 15:55, Camillo Särs wrote:

      > Mike Williams wrote:
      > > Any suggestins more than welcome.
      >
      > Mozilla seems to do a fairly good job at combining several different fonts to
      > display Unicode sample pages. I believe the basic algorithm is "if this font
      > doesn't have it, let's look at some others". :)

      This is relatively straightforward, PS font files have associated
      descriptor files that are relatively easy to parse, but the decision
      to date has been to not add this functionality to VIM. This means
      the user has to tell VIM what fonts to use for specific ranges. As a
      gross generalisation a multi-byte encoding contains an ASCII(ish)
      character set, a basic multi-byte character set and an extended multi-
      byte character set (typically more rarely used characters) - that can
      be a lot of info that needs specifying to be able to print.

      (If the font desccriptor file parser was added then alternate fixed
      width fonts could be used for 8-bit printing as well.)

      TTFN

      Mike
      --
      Swing dead cat by the tail? More fun using live ones.