Re: [patch] hardcopy patch for vim-6.2

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
      Motonobu Ichimura wrote:

      > I updated a patch to enable hardcopy with multibyte chars for vim-6.2.
      > (honestly, this patch is my first attempt for vim 6.2, so in a very
      > early stage.)
      >
      > this patch's approach is
      >
      > 1) vim 6.2 have ps-resources for each locales (in print directory), so
      > 2) prepare ps resources for multibyte locales. (these resouces defines
      > PS font for multibyte.)
      > 3) if vim can find resources for multibyte, use it.
      >
      > with this approach, we can select our favorite PS fonts using
      > ~/.vim/print/some-mb-locale.ps.
      >
      > you can obtain this patch at
      >
      > http://www.momonga-linux.org/~famao/vim-6.2-hardcopy-multibyte.tar.gz

      Sounds good. Since I hardly use multi-byte files I'm not a good tester
      for this patch.

      Did you communicate with Mike Williams? He did most of the printing
      functionality.

      --
      [clop clop]
      ARTHUR: Old woman!

    • Mike Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
        Hi,

        I'll have a look at the patch.

        I have been snowed under with work this Summer but I have a couple of
        weeks vacation shortly and plan to sort out multi-byte printing. The
        biggest issue is how to handle specifying font, character set, and
        encoding from VIM in a sensible way.

        One nasty issue is that some multi-byte fonts only contain a subset
        of the character sets implied by an encoding, especially some of the
        free ones. I have seen a few which do not contain ASCII characters
        where it would should be ok to use Courier, but how to tell VIM to do
        this?

        Any suggestins more than welcome.

        On 24 Oct 2003 at 12:47, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Motonobu Ichimura wrote:
        >
        > > I updated a patch to enable hardcopy with multibyte chars for vim-6.2.
        > > (honestly, this patch is my first attempt for vim 6.2, so in a very
        > > early stage.)
        > >
        > > this patch's approach is
        > >
        > > 1) vim 6.2 have ps-resources for each locales (in print directory), so
        > > 2) prepare ps resources for multibyte locales. (these resouces defines
        > > PS font for multibyte.)
        > > 3) if vim can find resources for multibyte, use it.
        > >
        > > with this approach, we can select our favorite PS fonts using
        > > ~/.vim/print/some-mb-locale.ps.
        > >
        > > you can obtain this patch at
        > >
        > > http://www.momonga-linux.org/~famao/vim-6.2-hardcopy-multibyte.tar.gz
        >
        > Sounds good. Since I hardly use multi-byte files I'm not a good tester
        > for this patch.
        >
        > Did you communicate with Mike Williams? He did most of the printing
        > functionality.
        >
        > --
        > [clop clop]
        > ARTHUR: Old woman!
        > DENNIS: Man!
        > ARTHUR: Man, sorry. What knight lives in that castle over there?
        > DENNIS: I'm thirty seven.
        > ARTHUR: What?
        > DENNIS: I'm thirty seven -- I'm not old!
        > The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty Python)

        > /// Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.Vim.org \\\
        > \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///
        > \\\ Help AIDS victims, buy here: http://ICCF-Holland.org/click1.html ///

        Mike
        --
        Nakedness is seldom seen but often noticed. - Chinese Proverb
      • Camillo Särs
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
          Mike Williams wrote:
          > Any suggestins more than welcome.

          Mozilla seems to do a fairly good job at combining several different fonts to
          display Unicode sample pages. I believe the basic algorithm is "if this font
          doesn't have it, let's look at some others". :)

          Anyway, you might want to take a look at the Mozilla code for inspiration. I
          haven't seen it, and it may just be a complete waste of time, but who knows.

          Regards,
          Camillo
          --
          Camillo Särs <+ged+@...> ** Aim for the impossible and you
          <http://www.iki.fi/+ged> ** will achieve the improbable.
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
            On 24 Oct 2003 at 15:55, Camillo Särs wrote:

            > Mike Williams wrote:
            > > Any suggestins more than welcome.
            >
            > Mozilla seems to do a fairly good job at combining several different fonts to
            > display Unicode sample pages. I believe the basic algorithm is "if this font
            > doesn't have it, let's look at some others". :)

            This is relatively straightforward, PS font files have associated
            descriptor files that are relatively easy to parse, but the decision
            to date has been to not add this functionality to VIM. This means
            the user has to tell VIM what fonts to use for specific ranges. As a
            gross generalisation a multi-byte encoding contains an ASCII(ish)
            character set, a basic multi-byte character set and an extended multi-
            byte character set (typically more rarely used characters) - that can
            be a lot of info that needs specifying to be able to print.

            (If the font desccriptor file parser was added then alternate fixed
            width fonts could be used for 8-bit printing as well.)

            TTFN

            Mike
            --
            Swing dead cat by the tail? More fun using live ones.