[patch] hardcopy patch for vim-6.2

  • Motonobu Ichimura
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 23, 2003
      Hi

      I updated a patch to enable hardcopy with multibyte chars for vim-6.2.
      (honestly, this patch is my first attempt for vim 6.2, so in a very early stage.)

      this patch's approach is

      1) vim 6.2 have ps-resources for each locales (in print directory), so
      2) prepare ps resources for multibyte locales. (these resouces defines
      PS font for multibyte.)
      3) if vim can find resources for multibyte, use it.

      with this approach, we can select our favorite PS fonts using
      ~/.vim/print/some-mb-locale.ps.

      you can obtain this patch at

      http://www.momonga-linux.org/~famao/vim-6.2-hardcopy-multibyte.tar.gz

      Regards,
      famao.
    • Yasuhiro Matsumoto
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 23, 2003
        Motonobu Ichimura -
        >Hi
        >
        >I updated a patch to enable hardcopy with multibyte chars for vim-6.2.
        >(honestly, this patch is my first attempt for vim 6.2, so in a very early
        >stage.)
        >
        >this patch's approach is
        >
        >1) vim 6.2 have ps-resources for each locales (in print directory), so
        >2) prepare ps resources for multibyte locales. (these resouces defines
        > PS font for multibyte.)
        >3) if vim can find resources for multibyte, use it.
        >
        >with this approach, we can select our favorite PS fonts using
        >~/.vim/print/some-mb-locale.ps.
        >
        >you can obtain this patch at
        >
        >http://www.momonga-linux.org/~famao/vim-6.2-hardcopy-multibyte.tar.gz
        >
        >Regards,
        >famao.

        Hi.
        I tried your patch. and it works fine for me.

        I add one correction to this patch.
        shift_jis encoding has some characters which contain backslash at
        trail-byte.

        *** src/ex_cmds2.c~ Fri Oct 24 12:17:49 2003
        --- src/ex_cmds2.c Fri Oct 24 12:18:11 2003
        ***************
        *** 5344,5349 ****
        --- 5344,5351 ----
        } else {
        int i;
        for (i = 0; i < len; i++) {
        + if (p[i] == '\\')
        + ga_append (&prt_ps_buffer, p[i]);
        ga_append (&prt_ps_buffer, p[i]);
        }
        }
        --

        Regards,
        Thanks.

        - Yasuhiro

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
          Motonobu Ichimura wrote:

          > I updated a patch to enable hardcopy with multibyte chars for vim-6.2.
          > (honestly, this patch is my first attempt for vim 6.2, so in a very
          > early stage.)
          >
          > this patch's approach is
          >
          > 1) vim 6.2 have ps-resources for each locales (in print directory), so
          > 2) prepare ps resources for multibyte locales. (these resouces defines
          > PS font for multibyte.)
          > 3) if vim can find resources for multibyte, use it.
          >
          > with this approach, we can select our favorite PS fonts using
          > ~/.vim/print/some-mb-locale.ps.
          >
          > you can obtain this patch at
          >
          > http://www.momonga-linux.org/~famao/vim-6.2-hardcopy-multibyte.tar.gz

          Sounds good. Since I hardly use multi-byte files I'm not a good tester
          for this patch.

          Did you communicate with Mike Williams? He did most of the printing
          functionality.

          --
          [clop clop]
          ARTHUR: Old woman!

        • Mike Williams
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
            Hi,

            I'll have a look at the patch.

            I have been snowed under with work this Summer but I have a couple of
            weeks vacation shortly and plan to sort out multi-byte printing. The
            biggest issue is how to handle specifying font, character set, and
            encoding from VIM in a sensible way.

            One nasty issue is that some multi-byte fonts only contain a subset
            of the character sets implied by an encoding, especially some of the
            free ones. I have seen a few which do not contain ASCII characters
            where it would should be ok to use Courier, but how to tell VIM to do
            this?

            Any suggestins more than welcome.

            On 24 Oct 2003 at 12:47, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Motonobu Ichimura wrote:
            >
            > > I updated a patch to enable hardcopy with multibyte chars for vim-6.2.
            > > (honestly, this patch is my first attempt for vim 6.2, so in a very
            > > early stage.)
            > >
            > > this patch's approach is
            > >
            > > 1) vim 6.2 have ps-resources for each locales (in print directory), so
            > > 2) prepare ps resources for multibyte locales. (these resouces defines
            > > PS font for multibyte.)
            > > 3) if vim can find resources for multibyte, use it.
            > >
            > > with this approach, we can select our favorite PS fonts using
            > > ~/.vim/print/some-mb-locale.ps.
            > >
            > > you can obtain this patch at
            > >
            > > http://www.momonga-linux.org/~famao/vim-6.2-hardcopy-multibyte.tar.gz
            >
            > Sounds good. Since I hardly use multi-byte files I'm not a good tester
            > for this patch.
            >
            > Did you communicate with Mike Williams? He did most of the printing
            > functionality.
            >
            > --
            > [clop clop]
            > ARTHUR: Old woman!
            > DENNIS: Man!
            > ARTHUR: Man, sorry. What knight lives in that castle over there?
            > DENNIS: I'm thirty seven.
            > ARTHUR: What?
            > DENNIS: I'm thirty seven -- I'm not old!
            > The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty Python)

            > /// Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.Vim.org \\\
            > \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///
            > \\\ Help AIDS victims, buy here: http://ICCF-Holland.org/click1.html ///

            Mike
            --
            Nakedness is seldom seen but often noticed. - Chinese Proverb
          • Camillo Särs
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
              Mike Williams wrote:
              > Any suggestins more than welcome.

              Mozilla seems to do a fairly good job at combining several different fonts to
              display Unicode sample pages. I believe the basic algorithm is "if this font
              doesn't have it, let's look at some others". :)

              Anyway, you might want to take a look at the Mozilla code for inspiration. I
              haven't seen it, and it may just be a complete waste of time, but who knows.

              Regards,
              Camillo
              --
              Camillo Särs <+ged+@...> ** Aim for the impossible and you
              <http://www.iki.fi/+ged> ** will achieve the improbable.
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
                On 24 Oct 2003 at 15:55, Camillo Särs wrote:

                > Mike Williams wrote:
                > > Any suggestins more than welcome.
                >
                > Mozilla seems to do a fairly good job at combining several different fonts to
                > display Unicode sample pages. I believe the basic algorithm is "if this font
                > doesn't have it, let's look at some others". :)

                This is relatively straightforward, PS font files have associated
                descriptor files that are relatively easy to parse, but the decision
                to date has been to not add this functionality to VIM. This means
                the user has to tell VIM what fonts to use for specific ranges. As a
                gross generalisation a multi-byte encoding contains an ASCII(ish)
                character set, a basic multi-byte character set and an extended multi-
                byte character set (typically more rarely used characters) - that can
                be a lot of info that needs specifying to be able to print.

                (If the font desccriptor file parser was added then alternate fixed
                width fonts could be used for 8-bit printing as well.)

                TTFN

                Mike
                --
                Swing dead cat by the tail? More fun using live ones.