Re: Filename encodings under Win32

    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 13, 2003
      Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
      > Camillo wrote:
      [...]
      > > - The default termencoding should be set intelligently, UTF-8 as
      > > termencoding breaks input of non-ascii.
      >
      > Why would 'termencoding' be "utf-8"? This won't work, unless you are
      > using an xterm on MS-Windows. The default 'termencoding' is empty,
      > which means 'encoding' is used. There is no better default. When you
      > change 'encoding' you might have to change 'termencoding' as well, but
      > this depends on your situation.
      [...]

      Glenn Maynard wants 'encoding' to default to "utf-8" regardless of the
      active codepage. IMHO this would require 'termencoding' to default, not to
      the empty string, but to what is currently the default 'encoding', namely
      the active codepage. Such change in the 'termencoding' default would (again,
      IMHO) be a GoodThing anyway, since it would allow the keyboard to go on
      working whether or not the user alters 'encoding'. Of course it is already
      possible to do

      if &termencoding == ""
      let &termencoding = &encoding
      endif

      but wouldn't it make it easier to the user (more user friendly) to have
      'termencoding' default to the ACP not implicitly (&termencoding == "" and
      'encoding' set to the ACP) but explicitly (by defaulting 'termencoding' to a
      nonempty value representing the active codepage)? -- And it would make the
      above "if" statement unnecessary but not harmful, so existing scripts should
      not be broken.

      Regards,
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 13, 2003
        Camillo Särs <ged@...> wrote:
        > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        [...]
        > > Why would 'termencoding' be "utf-8"? This won't work, unless you
        > > are
        > > using an xterm on MS-Windows.
        >
        > Yeah, but that's what you get if you just blindly do "set
        > encoding=utf-8". Took me a while to figure that one out. I need to
        > do "set termencoding=cp1252" first, or the "let &termencoding =
        > &encoding". Not exactly transparent to non-experts.

        Took me some figuring too. A few hours ago I uploaded my solution to
        vim-onlline (set_utf8.vim,
        http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=789 ). I hope it
        will make it transparent to non-experts. Yet I still believe that defaulting
        'termencoding' to the locale's charset would be better than leaving it
        empty -- and such a change wouldn't break the above-mentioned script, you're
        welcome to look at its source.

        > > The default 'termencoding' is empty, which means 'encoding' is used.
        > > There is no better default.
        >
        > On Windows, I'd say "detect active code page" is the right choice.
        >
        > > When you change 'encoding' you might have to change 'termencoding'
        > > as
        > > well, but this depends on your situation.
        >
        > As noted above, that's the unintuitive behavior I was getting at. A
        > windows user, knowing that unicode is the native charset, does a "set
        > encoding=utf-8" and expects things to work. They don't, but
        > depending on
        > the language, it may take a while before a non-ascii character is
        > entered.
        [...]

        Regards,
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 13, 2003
          Camillo wrote:

          > > Main problem is that sometimes we don't know what the encoding is.
          >
          > On Windows? I would disagree here. Any filesystem mounted by Windows
          > should be mounted in a way that adheres to Windows naming conventions.
          > We're not discussing file contents here.

          A file name may appear in a file (e.g., a list of files in a README
          file). And I don't know what happens with file names on removable media
          (e.g., a CD). Probably depends on the file system it contains. And
          networked file systems is another problem.

          > > In that situation you can treat the filename as a sequence of bytes in most
          > > places, but conversion is impossible. This happens more often than you
          > > would expect. Put a floppy disk or CD into your computer...
          >
          > So why convert it? :) The current display/saving problems stem from the
          > fact that the file name is interpreted as UTF-8, a coding which Windows
          > does not recognize for file names or strings.

          We need to locate places where the encoding is different from what a
          system function expects. There are still a few things that need to be
          fixed.

          > > There is also the situation that Vim uses the active codepage, but the
          > > file is actually in another encoding that could not be detected. Then
          > > doing "gf" on a filename will work if you don't do conversion, but it
          > > will fail if you try converting with the wrong encoding in mind.
          >
          > AFAIK, Windows will internally convert the path into Unicode if you call
          > the ANSI function. Thus if gf succeeds as you describe, it should succeed
          > if you use the unicode api as well. In both cases a 8-bit binary string
          > undergoes "cp2unicode" conversion.

          If Vim defaults to the active codepage then conversion to Unicode would
          do the same as using the ANSI function. Thus it's only a problem when
          'encoding' is different from the active codepage. And when 'encoding'
          is a Unicode variant we can use the "W" functions. Still, this means
          all fopen() and stat() calls must be adjusted. When 'encoding' is not
          the active codepage we could either leave the file name untranslated (as
          it's now) or convert it to Unicode. Don't know which one would work
          best...

          > > Your active codepage must be latin1 then. Vim gets the default from the
          > > active codepage.
          >
          > My code page is cp1252. It's not latin1 (iso-8859-1). In practice, both
          > are 8-bit-raw.

          cp1252 and latin1 are not identical, but for practical use they can be
          handled as the same encoding. Vim indeed uses this as the "raw" 8-bit
          encoding that avoids messing up your characters when you don't know what
          encoding it actually is.

          194. Your business cards contain your e-mail and home page address.

          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 13, 2003
            Note that I've upgraded, and I'm not having problems with files saving
            incorrectly in enc=utf-8. The remaining problems are mostly cosmetic,
            except for not being able to ":w 漢字.txt" with the ACP being Japanese.

            On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 02:25:04PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > Because every fopen(), stat() etc. will have to be changed.

            I don't think handling Unicode in filenames is worth it in Windows. It
            takes so much work that the only applications I know of that support it
            are ones that are compiled as native Unicode apps. The only exception
            I've seen is FB2k.

            It's certainly useful to be able to have multilingual filenames, but
            Windows makes it so hard that people really wanting to do that probably
            need a new OS.

            > I don't see why. You can use a file selector to open any file and write
            > it back under the same name. Vim doesn't need to know the encoding of
            > the filename that way.

            Consider the case where a filename in NT contains illegal data, eg. an
            invalid two-byte SJIS sequence. When you call NT ANSI system calls, it
            converts the buffers you pass it to WCHAR. That conversion would fail.

            Are you worried about not being able to open files off eg. a slightly
            corrupt/malformed floppy disc containing filenames that won't convert
            cleanly? That seems no worse than not being able to use non-ACP
            filenames. If that works, it seems a poor trade for not being able to
            enter non-ASCII filenames in utf-8. ":w 漢字.txt" responding with
            '"漢字.txt" [New]' and writing the filename correctly seems pretty
            fundamental, for Japanese users on Japanese systems, and that doesn't
            work with enc=utf-8.

            > I remember this was proposed before, I can't remember why we didn't do
            > it this way. Windows is different here, since we can find out what the
            > active codepage is. On Unix it's not that clear (e.g., depends on what
            > options the xterm was started with). Consistency between systems is
            > preferred.

            Windows and Unix handle encodings fundamentally differently, so complete
            consistency means one or the other system not working as well. It seems
            like "consistency to a fault". :)

            Here's what I see, though: Windows APIs are always giving ACP or Unicode
            data. Vim honors that for some code paths: input methods, copying to
            and from the system clipboard. It ignores it and uses Unix paradigms
            for others: filenames, most other ANSI calls.

            The former, in my experience, work consistently; I can enter text with
            the IME in both UTF-8 and CP932, and copy and paste reliably. The
            latter do not: entered filenames don't work, non-ASCII text in the
            titlebar shows <ab> hex values.

          • Camillo Särs
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 13, 2003
              Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > A file name may appear in a file (e.g., a list of files in a README
              > file). And I don't know what happens with file names on removable media
              > (e.g., a CD). Probably depends on the file system it contains. And
              > networked file systems is another problem.

              Both floppies, CDs and network file systems are mounted by windows, and
              "some" translation of file names happens. AFAIK, you should be able to
              access all files on such file systems using WindowsNT naming conventions.
              The file names may not be exactly what you anticipated, but they are
              guaranteed to stay constant.

              > We need to locate places where the encoding is different from what a
              > system function expects. There are still a few things that need to be
              > fixed.

              Yup. As I'm not familiar with the vim sources, I don't know how much work
              this would mean in reality. However, the set of functions is or should be
              known, and fairly limited.

              > When 'encoding' is not the active codepage we could either leave
              > the file name untranslated (as it's now) or convert it to Unicode.
              > Don't know which one would work best...

              Me neither. But I think that a conversion to unicode should be "fairly"
              straight-forward, as it is what NT does natively anyway. This leads me to
              think that Vim should do the conversion, as it knows the encoding. Or
              let's say, it thinks it knows it. :)

              Cheers,
              Camillo
              --
              Camillo Särs <+ged+@...> ** Aim for the impossible and you
              <http://www.iki.fi/+ged> ** will achieve the improbable.
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 14, 2003
                Glenn Maynard wrote:

                > On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 02:25:04PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > > Because every fopen(), stat() etc. will have to be changed.
                >
                > I don't think handling Unicode in filenames is worth it in Windows. It
                > takes so much work that the only applications I know of that support it
                > are ones that are compiled as native Unicode apps. The only exception
                > I've seen is FB2k.
                >
                > It's certainly useful to be able to have multilingual filenames, but
                > Windows makes it so hard that people really wanting to do that probably
                > need a new OS.

                So, what you suggest is to keep using the ordinary file system
                functions. But we must make sure that the file name is then in the
                active codepage encoding. When obtaining the file name with a system
                function (e.g., a directory listing or file browser) it will already be
                in that encoding. But when the user types a file name it's in the
                encoding specified with 'encoding'. This means we would need to convert
                the file name from 'encoding' to the active codepage at some point.
                And the reverse conversion is needed when using a filename as a text
                string, e.g., for "%p and in the window title.

                This is still complicated, but probably requires less changes than using
                Unicode functions for all file access. I only foresee trouble when
                'encoding' is set to a non-Unicode codepage different from the active
                codepage and using a filename that contains non-ASCII characters.
                Perhaps this situation is too weird to take into account?

                > > I don't see why. You can use a file selector to open any file and write
                > > it back under the same name. Vim doesn't need to know the encoding of
                > > the filename that way.
                >
                > Consider the case where a filename in NT contains illegal data, eg. an
                > invalid two-byte SJIS sequence. When you call NT ANSI system calls, it
                > converts the buffers you pass it to WCHAR. That conversion would fail.
                >
                > Are you worried about not being able to open files off eg. a slightly
                > corrupt/malformed floppy disc containing filenames that won't convert
                > cleanly? That seems no worse than not being able to use non-ACP
                > filenames. If that works, it seems a poor trade for not being able to
                > enter non-ASCII filenames in utf-8. ":w $B4A;z(B.txt"
                > responding with '"$B4A;z(B.txt" [New]' and writing the
                > filename correctly seems pretty fundamental, for Japanese users on
                > Japanese systems, and that doesn't work with enc=utf-8.

                Yep, using conversions means failure is possible. And failure mostly
                means the text is in a different encoding than expected. It would take
                some time to figure out how to do this in a way that the user isn't
                confused.

                210. When you get a divorce, you don't care about who gets the children,
                but discuss endlessly who can use the email address.

              • Camillo Särs
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 14, 2003
                  Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > Glenn Maynard wrote:
                  >>It's certainly useful to be able to have multilingual filenames, but
                  >>Windows makes it so hard that people really wanting to do that probably
                  >>need a new OS.
                  >
                  > So, what you suggest is to keep using the ordinary file system
                  > functions. But we must make sure that the file name is then in the
                  > active codepage encoding.

                  While that may sound attractive at first, I would strongly dissuade from
                  that solution. I consider it to be a myth that using multilingual
                  filenames on Windows is hard. Under NT, it's should be a breeze for any
                  application that is even slightly Unicode-aware. When you decide to make
                  changes in Vim, it makes sense to look to the future and try to go the
                  "Unicode" way. XP Home Edition is gaining ground - fast.

                  Win9x is a mess, because it's just a version of DOS on hormones, and thus
                  is solidly entrenched in the single code page per application world. Using
                  the current code page should suffice there, though.

                  > This is still complicated, but probably requires less changes than using
                  > Unicode functions for all file access.

                  Why? I don't get it. You don't need to use Unicode functions for anything
                  except stuff that accepts strings. The current implementation is wrong,
                  because it feeds "encoding" text to ANSI functions. If you change it, I
                  don't see why doing a conversion to Unicode would be any different than a
                  conversion to ANSI, other than the fact than converting to ANSI is riskier.

                  <http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/> contains a lot of useful info. Quote:

                  "All Win32 APIs that take a text argument either as an input or output
                  variable have been provided with a generic function prototype and two
                  definitions: a version that is based on code pages or ANSI (called "A") to
                  handle code page-based text argument and a wide version (called "W ") to
                  handle Unicode."

                  For 9x, you might be interested in the "Microsoft Layer for Unicode"

                  > I only foresee trouble when 'encoding' is set to a non-Unicode
                  > codepage different from the active codepage and using
                  > a filename that contains non-ASCII characters.
                  > Perhaps this situation is too weird to take into account?

                  As long as you know the correct code page, you can use Windows APIs to
                  convert correctly. They take the code page as an argument.

                  Camillo
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 14, 2003
                    Camillo wrote:

                    > While that may sound attractive at first, I would strongly dissuade from
                    > that solution. I consider it to be a myth that using multilingual
                    > filenames on Windows is hard. Under NT, it's should be a breeze for any
                    > application that is even slightly Unicode-aware. When you decide to make
                    > changes in Vim, it makes sense to look to the future and try to go the
                    > "Unicode" way. XP Home Edition is gaining ground - fast.

                    Vim not only supports Unicode but also many other encodings. When Vim
                    would only use Unicode it would be simple, but that's not the situation.
                    And above that, Vim is also used on many other systems, and we try to
                    make it work the same way everywhere.

                    > > This is still complicated, but probably requires less changes than using
                    > > Unicode functions for all file access.
                    >
                    > Why? I don't get it. You don't need to use Unicode functions for anything
                    > except stuff that accepts strings. The current implementation is wrong,
                    > because it feeds "encoding" text to ANSI functions. If you change it, I
                    > don't see why doing a conversion to Unicode would be any different than a
                    > conversion to ANSI, other than the fact than converting to ANSI is riskier.
                    >
                    > <http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/> contains a lot of useful info. Quote:
                    >
                    > "All Win32 APIs that take a text argument either as an input or output
                    > variable have been provided with a generic function prototype and two
                    > definitions: a version that is based on code pages or ANSI (called "A") to
                    > handle code page-based text argument and a wide version (called "W ") to
                    > handle Unicode."

                    Eh, what happens when I use fopen() or stat()? There is no ANSI or wide
                    version of these functions. And certainly not one that also works on
                    non-Win32 systems. And when using the wide version conversion needs to
                    be done from 'encoding' to Unicode, thus the conversion has to be there
                    as well. That's going to be a lot of work (many #ifdefs) and will
                    probably introduce new bugs.

                    > For 9x, you might be interested in the "Microsoft Layer for Unicode"
                    >
                    > > I only foresee trouble when 'encoding' is set to a non-Unicode
                    > > codepage different from the active codepage and using
                    > > a filename that contains non-ASCII characters.
                    > > Perhaps this situation is too weird to take into account?
                    >
                    > As long as you know the correct code page, you can use Windows APIs to
                    > convert correctly. They take the code page as an argument.

                    As mentioned before, we are not always sure what encoding the text has.
                    Conversion is then likely to fail. This especially happens for 8-bit
                    encodings, there is no way to automatically check what encoding these
                    files are.

                    I think we need a smart solution that doesn't attempt to handle all
                    situations but works predictably.

                    218. Your spouse hands you a gift wrapped magnet with your PC's name
                    on it and you accuse him or her of genocide.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 14, 2003
                      > While that may sound attractive at first, I would strongly dissuade from
                      > that solution. I consider it to be a myth that using multilingual
                      > filenames on Windows is hard. Under NT, it's should be a breeze for any

                      It's not at all a myth if you want code that is 1: portable and 2: works
                      on 9x, too. (If you can deal with nonportable code, you can use Windows's
                      TCHAR mechanism, and if you don't care about anything but NT, you can write
                      a UTF-16-only app. Neither of these are the case here, though.)

                      It's not "hard", it's just "incredibly annoying".

                      On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 02:20:27PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > This is still complicated, but probably requires less changes than using
                      > Unicode functions for all file access. I only foresee trouble when
                      > 'encoding' is set to a non-Unicode codepage different from the active
                      > codepage and using a filename that contains non-ASCII characters.
                      > Perhaps this situation is too weird to take into account?

                      If "encoding" is not the ACP codepage, then the main problem is that the
                      user can enter characters that Vim simply can't put into a filename
                      (and in 9x, that the system can't, either).

                      I'd just do a conversion, and if the conversion fails, warn appropriately.

                      > Eh, what happens when I use fopen() or stat()? There is no ANSI or wide
                      > version of these functions. And certainly not one that also works on
                      > non-Win32 systems. And when using the wide version conversion needs to
                      > be done from 'encoding' to Unicode, thus the conversion has to be there
                      > as well. That's going to be a lot of work (many #ifdefs) and will
                      > probably introduce new bugs.

                      It's not that much work. Windows has _wfopen and _wstat. Vim already
                      has those abstracted (mch_fopen, mch_stat), so conversions would only
                      happen in one place (and in a place that's intended to be platform-
                      specific, mch_*). I believe the code I linked earlier did exactly this.

                      The only thing needed is sane error recovery.

                      > Yep, using conversions means failure is possible. And failure mostly
                      > means the text is in a different encoding than expected. It would take
                      > some time to figure out how to do this in a way that the user isn't
                      > confused.

                      Well, bear in mind the non-ACP case that already exists. If I create
                      "foo ♡.txt", and try to edit it with Vim, it edits "foo ?.txt" (which
                      it can't write, either, since "?" is an invalid character in Windows
                      filenames). I'd suggest that editing a file with an invalid character
                      (eg. invalid SJIS sequence) behave identically to editing a file with
                      a valid character that can't be referenced (eg. "foo ♡.txt").

                    • Camillo Särs
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 14, 2003
                        Glenn Maynard wrote:
                        > If "encoding" is not the ACP codepage, then the main problem is that the
                        > user can enter characters that Vim simply can't put into a filename
                        > (and in 9x, that the system can't, either).
                        >
                        > I'd just do a conversion, and if the conversion fails, warn appropriately.

                        Agreed. There's no way around that.

                        > It's not that much work. Windows has _wfopen and _wstat. Vim already
                        > has those abstracted (mch_fopen, mch_stat), so conversions would only
                        > happen in one place (and in a place that's intended to be platform-
                        > specific, mch_*). I believe the code I linked earlier did exactly this.
                        >
                        > The only thing needed is sane error recovery.

                        Sounds very promising. It would be really great if it turns out that the
                        changes are fairly minor. That way there's a chance they would get
                        implemented. :)

                        If you decide to try the proposed changes out, I'm prepared to do some
                        testing on a Win32 binary build. Sorry, can't build myself. :(

                        Camillo
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 15, 2003
                          Glenn Maynard wrote:

                          > On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 02:20:27PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                          > > This is still complicated, but probably requires less changes than using
                          > > Unicode functions for all file access. I only foresee trouble when
                          > > 'encoding' is set to a non-Unicode codepage different from the active
                          > > codepage and using a filename that contains non-ASCII characters.
                          > > Perhaps this situation is too weird to take into account?
                          >
                          > If "encoding" is not the ACP codepage, then the main problem is that the
                          > user can enter characters that Vim simply can't put into a filename
                          > (and in 9x, that the system can't, either).
                          >
                          > I'd just do a conversion, and if the conversion fails, warn appropriately.

                          It's more complicated then that. You can have filenames in the ACP,
                          'encoding' and Unicode. Filenames are stored in various places inside
                          Vim, which encoding is used for each of them? Obviously, a filename
                          stored in buffer text and registers has to use 'encoding'.

                          It's less obvious what to use for internal structures, such as
                          curbuf->b_ffname. When 'encoding' is a Unicode encoding we can use
                          UTF-8, that can be converted to anything else. That also works when the
                          active codepage is not Unicode, we can use the wide functions then.

                          When 'encoding' is the active codepage (this is the default, should
                          happen a lot), we can use the active codepage. That avoids conversions
                          (which may fail). No need to use wide functions then.

                          The real problem is when 'encoding' is not the active codepage and it's
                          also not a Unicode encoding. We could simply skip the conversion then.
                          That doesn't work properly for non-ASCII characters, but it's how it
                          already works right now. The right way would be to convert the file
                          name to Unicode and use the wide functions.

                          I guess this means all filenames inside Vim are in 'encoding'. Where
                          needed, conversion needs to be done from/to Unicode and the wide
                          functions are to be used then.

                          The main thing to implement now is using the wide functions when
                          'encoding' is UTF-8. This only requires a simple conversion between
                          UTF-8 and UCS-16. I'll be waiting for a patch...

                          231. You sprinkle Carpet Fresh on the rugs and put your vacuum cleaner
                          in the front doorway permanently so it always looks like you are
                          actually attempting to do something about that mess that has amassed
                          since you discovered the Internet.