917RE: Editing files with native characters in their names?

    May 5, 2003
      Ron Aaron wrote:

      > > Hmm, does this mean we need to convert between wide characters and
      > > utf-8 for all the functions that use file names?
      > >
      > > I thought this already worked, since I fixed a few things for Asian
      > > file names in the past. But perhaps it only works for DBCS, not for
      > > utf-8?
      >
      > I just verified this on XP.
      >
      > If you drag such a file to vim, it comes up as ???? instead of the
      > file name.

      I suppose this means that filenames are in the "active codepage"
      encoding. We should convert them to 'encoding' to be able to display
      them properly. However, it should still be possible to read and write
      the file, using the filename as a sequence of bytes.

      This would be quite a lot of work to implement. Either converting the
      name for every system function, or converting the name every time it is
      used in Vim.

      > If you do :e and try tab-completion, the file does not show up in the
      > list of matches.

      Strange, I would expect the ???? entries to show up. Is there some
      magic going on here?

      174. You know what a listserv is.