914Editing files with native characters in their names?

  • Valery Kondakoff
    May 5, 2003
      Hello, vim-developers!

      It seems, currently it is impossible to edit files with native
      characters in their names, when GVIM enoding is set to UTF-8. (WinXP,
      GVIM 6.1 1-449)

      There is an example: it is possible to open such a file with GVIM
      internal File Explorer or by using 'File - Open' menu item, but the
      name of the file will be damaged, so it will be impossible to write it
      back. The name of the file looks like this after opening in GVIM:

      And it is completely impossible to open a file with native characters
      in the name using ':e' command or from command line - GVIM just does
      not found a file and opens an empty file with damaged name.

      More details: the default Russian character encoding under Windows is
      CP1251. So, the filenames with Russian characters are stored in this
      encoding. There are my GVIM language settings:

      set encoding=utf-8
      set fileencoding=cp1251
      set fileencodings=cp1251,cp866,koi8-r,latin1

      If there is something we can do about this? Thank you.

      Best regards,
      Valery Kondakoff
      http://www.nbk.orc.ru (Ne Bey Kopytom)
      http://www.nbk.orc.ru/mtb (MTB riding in Moscow)