789Re: utf-8 support on win32 with default code page 1250

    Feb 4, 2003
      On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 08:14:25PM +0100, Zbynek Winkler wrote:
      > Debuging the file saving process showed that the iconv.dll was not used
      > for the conversion at all (it was not even looked for) so it made no
      > difference if I had it installed or not. The line that decided that no
      > iconv was needed is 3118 in fileio.c - wb_flags = get_fio_flags(fenc);.
      > When changed to wb_flags = 0; iconv finally got used for (it actually
      > complained if I have not installed it) and the conversion was correct!

      iconv should not be used in Windows for codepages at all. Rather,
      MultiByteToWideChar and WideCharToMultiByte should be used. I think
      code to do this for file I/O was integrated in CVS, but there may not
      have been a release since then, so give CVS a shot.