728Re: RevOut

    Oct 6, 2002
      On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 06:49:09PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > I didn't see a response or folloup about this. Do we need to change
      > anything, or should we just wait until someone complains there is a
      > problem?

      Well, I was trying to track down what was being done where, and what
      problems happened when, and this complicated things a good bit.

      > Would there ever be Hebrew/Arabic text without 'rightleft' set?

      Editing multilingual text (eg. translation data); it'd be unpleasant
      if I wanted to change some text in one language and saw screen
      corruption for others.

      > > Perhaps we should just *always* draw character-by-character? Is it
      > > ever noticably slower? (I can't tell; I'm on a K7/1000.) There
      > > doesn't seem to be an easy way to find out if there are characters
      > > in the text that Windows is going to mess with.
      >
      > I do think it would cause a slowdown. Calling a windows system function
      > does have overhead.

      It might be a measurable but meaningless slowdown.

      Or it might be a real slowdown. The only safe way to find out is to
      test it, but I don't have access to any really slow machines.

      FYI, I have all of these patches and I've summarized them at
      http://zewt.org/vim . I havn't thrown them out because I've gone silent
      recently, I've just been working on some other projects. (I don't think
      this is complete; the file I/O CP code isn't mentioned, at least.)