723Re: [BUG] Ambiguous-width character handling

    Sep 19, 2002
      Noah Levitt wrote:

      > On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 21:43:00 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > >
      > > Note that Vim only supports one font for the whole Vim window. I don't
      > > expect that a single font has two glyphs for the same character,
      > > depending on the context. Therefore the choice for whether an ambiguous
      > > character is single or double width should match the font.
      > What about guifont and guifontwide? The fonts I use have
      > some overlap.

      That has a chicken-egg problem: the choice between the two fonts is made
      based on the width of a character. There could be a test if a glyph for
      a character is available, but that's complicated.

      > Incidentally, Autrijus's sample line gave me no problems in
      > an utf8 xterm. It treated the characters as single-width.
      > xterm uses Markus Kuhn's wcwidth, I believe.

      The function I use has the same source, thus it's no surprise Vim and
      Xterm work well together. The problem probably only exists on Asian

      The Feynman problem solving Algorithm:
      1) Write down the problem
      2) Think real hard
      3) Write down the answer