684RE: UTF8_STRING patch

  • Maiorana, Jason
    Aug 12, 2002
      > > It looks like the GDK functions all assume that the data is in the
      > > format of the current locale: this is incorrect i think.

      >I dunno. You could try looking in the GTK documentation (but you
      >probably end up looking in the source code...).

      Its says in their doc's that "gdk_text_property_to_text_list" converts
      from "compound text" the process's current locale. Vim however needs
      the text to be in option["encoding"] encoding, regardless of the
      current locale. So I think that pasting compound text through gtk
      into a vim where buffer encoding doesnt match locale LC_CTYPE wont work.
      Mostly this is irrelevant because COMPOUND_TEXT is thoroughly deprecated
      imo.

      >> Converting COMPOUND_TEXT to my current locale would only corrupt it,
      >> which probably explains why that never worked for me. Doesnt vim
      >> have some notion of internal representation encoding? If vim were
      >> to always use utf-8 internally in all situations, that would make
      >> UTF8_STRING conversion a non-issue...

      >The value of 'encoding' defines the encoding used internally in Vim for
      >all text in buffers, registers, etc.

      I will look into calling "get_option_value" for the purpose of passing
      "convert_setup".
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic