653convert_setup

    Jul 12, 2002
      I'm fixing up the clipboard patch, and I'm hitting some problems with
      convert_setup; it forces to and from to utf-8 for all encodings. What
      needs this? I think it'd be cleaner to do this at the caller, where
      needed.

      I need to be able to convert from penc to UCS-2 and back. I have it
      working, but it'd be cleaner as part of string_convert.

      You mentioned the reason iconv is optional is because of its size. I
      wonder if there's an easy way to strip down iconv to only include
      Unicode conversions and ISO-8859 tables, to a size that's reasonable to
      package with Vim? I'll take a look, if you're interested. Being able
      to depend on iconv for basic Unicode conversions (UCS2<->UCS4<->UTF8)
      would be nice.