652Re: Bug report and IME suggestions

  • alexandre.elias@mail.mcgill.ca
    Jun 5, 2002
      On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 05:41:36PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
      > Anyway, the whole "don't toggle the IME in normal mode" is minor (to me).
      > It doesn't happen to me very often, it'd just be a niceity; the iminsert
      > default is far more important. Alex, if you want to argue for it (and
      > code it), feel free. :)

      Yeah, I'll look into it and try to come up with a patch when I have the
      time. From what I've seen of the code, intercepting and killing the IME
      in normal/visual mode shouldn't be very hard.

      This behavior is obviously desirable with the Windows IME, so IMHO it
      isn't necessary to add a new option. It's extremely silly to map a
      Japanese character to a vim command in Windows: in order to use it,
      you'd have to press alt-~ (IME enable key), type the character, press
      enter to confirm, and then press alt-~ again to disable the IME. It'll
      never happen. And the Windows IME support seems almost completely
      separate from the X support, so any change I would make wouldn't bother
      X users.

      Sounds like you guys are sorting out all of the other issues :). Thanks
      for looking into it.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic