618Can't convert this file encoding...

  • Valery Kondakoff
    Apr 6, 2002
      Hello, VIM-gurus!

      I have a multibyte-related question. Is this the right place to ask
      such kind of questions?

      There it is:

      On certain files, after trying to perform file encoding conversion (:e
      ++enc=cp866, for example), I receive "Not converted" error, and the
      file remains in wrong encoding. (VIM 6.1, iconv.dll - 423.640,
      09.03.01 04:49, WinXP)

      There is a small example: I can't open this two-line file (attached)
      in VIM in the right encoding (cp866) and performing ":e ++enc=cp866"
      command fails. It's interesting, that if I delete two chars from this
      file (line 1 col 57 and line 2 col 40), and reload it after saving
      changes (or use ":e ++enc=cp866" command) the file will be shown in
      right encoding (cp866).

      Can anyone explain me what's wrong there? If there are ways to _force_
      file encoding conversion?

      Thank you!

      Valery Kondakoff mailto:strauss@...
      http://www.nbk.orc.ru Ne Bey Kopytom
      http://www.nbk.orc.ru/mtb MTB riding in Moscow

      In general, they do what you want, unless you want consistency.
      --Larry Wall
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic