357Re: Switching XIM on and off

  • Nam SungHyun
    Mar 7, 2001
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Wouldn't it be better if xim_set_preedit() doesn't call xim_set_focus()?
      > Instead we would call xim_set_focus() in the same places where the ":lmap"
      > mappings are enabled, to switch between English and language characters.

      Windows and Unix is different. I have no knowledge (especially Windows).
      Next is just my experience.

      Windows: First of all, VIM always connect to IME.

      While input english, it acts like OverTheSpot(or OnTheSPot).
      While input multibyte, it acts like OffTheSpot, but somewhat
      different to XIM. IME send a ONE multibyte to VIM when composing
      ends.

      Unix :
      Root: VIM got a multibyte word. While input character,
      character shown in another window that created by
      XIM.
      OffTheSpot: VIM got a multibyte word. While input character,
      character shown in Statue Area. VIM support status
      area to XIM.
      OverTheSpot: VIM got a multibyte word. While input character,
      character shown in VIM's cursor position.
      OnTheSpot: VIM got a multibyte word. While input character,
      VIM can draw the character using callback.

      I believe VIM cannot set 'Native language' or 'English' Mode.
      VIM only can do 'enable' or 'disable' XIM. and user set language
      mode manually. Well, in my case, when XIM enabled, it enters to
      previous language mode. But, I think it's not the same
      situation in Windows (Origin and English mode).

      And why VIM got a multibyte word, I guess because there can
      be conversion occured. Hangul-Word <--> Chinese Word.
      (Or maybe Katagana-Word <--> Hiragana-Word <--> Chinese-Word)...
      In windows, user may convert ONE by ONE?
      Well, it's not normal in Korea. Most of us use Hangul only.
      But specific case, user input Hangul, and can convert it to
      Chinese.

      Like windows, OverTheSpot and OnTheSpot can always connect to XIM, I think.
      There's no difference when user inputs English (OverTheSpot/OnTheSpot).
      But, OffTheSpot and Root, it's painful to input English (the character
      shown area).

      I hope it clears issues.

      regards,

      namsh