344Re: aliases for encoding names

  • Takuhiro Nishioka
    Feb 13, 2001
      Hello,

      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > In the new Vim 6.0v I have added a list of aliases for encoding names.
      > Some of these have been guessed, several are probably missing. Please check
      > this list. It is in the file multibyte.c, search for "encoding names".

      For Japanese, there are "eucjp" and "shift-jis". I think
      it is more reasonable to use the precise charset name:
      "euc-jp" and "shift_jis" or to add those name as alias.

      > One specific item is for Chinese (not for Taiwan).
      > Currently these names are used:
      >
      > for Windows: "cp936", with aliases "prc" and "chinese".
      > For Unix: "chinese", with aliases "prc" and 'cp936".
      >
      > Are "chinese" and "cp936" really the same?
      >
      > Is "chinese" on Unix the best name, it looks quite generic to me. It could
      > easily be confused with traditional chinese, as use in Taiwan. Is there a
      > better name?

      I don't know what "cp936" is. Where can I found the
      definition?

      I don't know well but I thought that "gb2312" is equal to
      "euc-cn". And those are common in PRC.

      --
      Takuhiro Nishioka mailto:takuhiro@...
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic