2723Re: hindi in vim

    Jun 1, 2011
      On 30/05/11 05:51, sumeet inani wrote:
      > Hi ,
      > I use debian 6.0.0.
      > I have installed
      > scim scim-m17n scim-gtk2-immodule m17n-db im-switch
      >
      > My vim has lots of features
      > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Jul 12 2010 02:31:36)
      > Included patches: 1-445
      > Modified by pkg-vim-maintainers@...
      > <mailto:pkg-vim-maintainers@...>
      > Compiled by jamessan@... <mailto:jamessan@...>
      > Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      > +arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
      > +cindent
      > +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
      > +comments
      > +cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs +dnd -ebcdic
      > +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path
      > +find_in_path
      > +float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv
      > +insert_expand
      > +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds
      > +localmap
      > +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape +mouse_dec +mouse_gpm
      > -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm +multi_byte
      > +multi_lang -mzscheme +netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra +perl
      > +postscript
      > +printer +profile +python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft +ruby +scrollbind
      > +signs +smartindent -sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
      > +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white +tcl +terminfo +termresponse
      > +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
      > +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup
      > +X11 -xfontset +xim +xsmp_interact +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      >
      > I also read http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/mbyte.html
      >
      > I can write hindi fine in browsers & gedit using transliteration.
      > In vim I see that matra & letter are not positioned correctly.
      > Like in कु the matra उ appears before क not below it.
      > Here is Screenshot --> www.linuxquestions.orghas begun/qhas
      > begunuestions/attachment.php?attachmentid=7155&d=1306693747
      > <http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/attachment.php?attachmentid=7155&d=1306693747>
      >
      > I am using 'Akshar Unicode' . 'Monospace' does not help either.
      > Do you get such problem ? If not , what font you use ?
      > Thank you.

      Devanagari, and Indian-subcontinent scripts in general, are very
      difficult for an editor like Vim, which was originally meant to render
      one character in one cell at a time in left-to-right sequence. Its
      capabilities were extended for East-Asian scripts (where "wide" CJK
      characters are displayed in two cells each), for Hebrew (display the
      whole split-window right-to-left), for Arabic (one glyph at a time,
      which may represent two characters in the case of lam-alif, and whose
      shape may vary depending on position in the "word", in one cell at a
      time but right to left -- and I put quotes around "word" because some
      "non-joining" letters such as alif, dal, dhal, raa, zaay and waw end a
      "word" even in the middle of a word), and for Unicode composing
      characters (one or more glyphs at a time, in one cell), but AFAIK the
      problem of nagari and similar Hindic scripts in Vim hasn't yet been tackled.

      If you want to try solving this problem, you're welcome, but it won't be
      easy.

      The only possible interpretation of any research whatever in the
      `social sciences' is: some do, some don't.
      -- Ernest Rutherford