2718RE: Trouble getting started with vim and utf-8 file

  • John Beckett
    Apr 8, 2011
      DanKegel wrote:
      > The file http://winetricks.org/winetricks is, I hope, a utf-8
      > file, but is not recognized as such in the vim that comes
      > with ubuntu 11.04 (with german locale, even).

      It looks like you created that file, so you need to fix it
      because it is not UTF-8.

      Downloading the file with wget and dumping the bytes shows that
      the character which I have shown as "?" in the following is not
      valid UTF-8:
      title="?Torrent 3.0" \

      That single byte is hex B5 or binary 10110101. That starts with
      "10" which is never valid as the first byte of a character in
      UTF-8.

      BTW you can find that in Vim by opening the file and typing 8g8
      which jumps to the next illegal byte sequence, then typing ga to
      show the value.

      John