2670Re: Multibyte bugs

    Apr 11, 2010
      Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > >> 1. (Minor bug): On this system (gvim 7.2.411, Huge version with
      > >> GTK2-GNOME GUI), typing Ctrl-K in Insert mode followed by two spaces
      > >> doesn't give the expected result: instead of U+00A0 ("Alt-space", the
      > >> non-breaking space) I get U+E000, a CJK character. Ctrl-K NS works
      > >> correctly.
      > >
      > > Why do you expect CTRL-K<space> <space> to produce 0xa0? According to
      > > http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1345.html it's 0xe000.
      >
      > Because of the following paragraph at lines 99-100 of digraph.txt:
      >
      > ----8<----
      > > For CTRL-K, there is one general digraph: CTRL-K <Space> {char} will enter
      > > {char} with the highest bit set. You can use this to enter meta-characters.
      > ---->8----
      >
      > When {char} is 0x20 i.e. <Space>, the above tells me that CTRL-K <Space>
      > <Space> gives 0xA0 i.e. the non-breaking space, which is useful to enter
      > the "meta-character" Meta-Space if I don't remember the NS digraph. If
      > U+E000 is a "private use" character, I don't see why it needs a digraph
      > of its own anyway.

      Ah, OK.

      > On reading that RFC, which states in its beginning paragraph that it has
      > no normative value whatsoever, I see (at the very end of section 3)
      > quite a number of digraphs and trigraphs assigned to U+E000 to U+E028,
      > in what Unicode calls a "private use area": see for instance the very
      > start of http://www.unicode.org/charts/pdf/UE000.pdf:
      >
      > ----8<----
      > Private Use Area
      > Range: E000–F8FF
      > The Private Use Area does not contain any character assignments,
      > consequently no character code charts or namelists are provided for this
      > area.
      > ---->8----
      >
      > At least some of the characters listed there in the RFC have a different
      > Unicode codepoint assigned to them, but maybe Unicode assigned them
      > after the RFC (dated June 1992) was published. Personally I have strong
      > doubts as to the usefulness of any Vim digraph for a "private use"
      > character. U+E000 is listed as "indicates unfinished (Mnemonic)". I'm
      > not sure what that means, unless maybe that a blank space in a charset
      > chart (further down in the same RFC) indicates that the chart is unfinished?

      It's weird that digraphs are defined for an area that doesn't have
      characters assigned to it. I wonder what happened here. Perhaps this
      changed at some point in time? If we know the reason we may want to
      drop all the dibgraphs for 0xexxx.

      > >> 2. U+E000 is displayed in gvim as CJK halfwidth. Shouldn't it be fullwidth?
      > >
      > > Why would it be a double-width character? In
      > > http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/EastAsianWidth.txt it's marked as
      > > "private use".
      >
      > Ah, I see. FWIW my usual 'guifont' has a glyph for it, which AFAICT is a
      > fullwidth CJK glyph. OTOH the Unihan database does not mention it.
      >

      > >> 3. "\<Char-nnnn>" gives wrong results for some Unicode codepoints.
      > [...]
      > >
      > > The form "\<xxx>" is for special keys, not characters. For the character
      > > itself use \x or \u or \U. See ":help expr-string".
      > > The special keys are escaped for use in a mapping.
      >
      > The example given at |expr-string| is "\<C-W>" which is the "<control>"
      > character defined by ASCII as 0x17 ("\x17") and by Unicode as U+0017
      > ("\u0017"), not a "special" non-ASCII key like <F8>, <Home> or
      > <PageDown>. I had always thought that _every_ <> name could be used in a
      > double-quoted string with a backslash prefix, and indeed I have verified
      > that it works for all the <Char-nnnn> or <Char-0xnnnn> that I tested
      > _except_ those whose UTF-8 expansion includes either or both of the
      > bytes 0x80 and 0x9B, in which case two spurious bytes are inserted
      > immediately after every occurrence of a 0x80 or 0x9B byte.
      >
      > If this bug is WONTFIX, I suggest to mention explicitly at the bottom of
      > the list under |expr-quote| that the \<xxx> form does not apply if xxx
      > is Char-nnnn or Char-0xnnnn.

      Yes.

      --
      SOLDIER: Where did you get the coconuts?
      ARTHUR: Through ... We found them.