2658Re: Input greek characters

    Mar 7, 2010
      On 07/03/10 09:53, Dennis Cao wrote:
      > System Environment:
      > * Windows XP Pro SP2 Simple Chinese Version
      > * Vim 7.2
      >
      > I want to input greek characters. As my system is Simple Chinese, I
      > tried keymap feature in vim.
      >
      > After I have doen all the configuration according to vim doc, I typed
      > the keyboard. I find some strangle Chinese chracters are displayed.
      >
      > Then I set option 'enc' empty, which make all the existing Chinese
      > characters in the file replaces with some digits.
      > In this case, I typed the keyboard. I get the greek character, but
      > only HALF of a character is displayed.
      >
      > Can anybody tell me how to input these greek characters correctly on
      > my system? Thanks:)
      >
      > ---------------------------------
      > 曹贵林 ( TheodoreCao )

      1. Make sure that 'encoding' is set to some charset which includes Greek
      glyphs: UTF-8 will certainly do it, or maybe GB18030 will, but not the
      other Chinese charsets. To set Vim up for UTF-8, see
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode

      2. There are several possible methods to input Greek characters. To use
      a keymap, you must be sure that your keyboard can send the {lhs} of the
      keymaps (the first part, before the first whitespace, on every line of
      the keymap which is neither empty nor starting with a double quote,
      after the loadkeymap line). OTOH, the following methods should work on
      every keyboard setting:

      2a. Digraphs (see :help digraph.txt). IMHO for Greek this is the
      easiest, except if you need to type long Greek texts, in which case you
      might be better off making up your own keymap. For Greek, use the
      corresponding Latin letter followed by an asterisk, except that the
      word-final lowercase sigma is *s. In all cases you type Ctrl-K followed
      by the two characters of the digraph (in Insert mode).

      2b. Unicode codepoint: see :help i_CTRL-V_digit -- for this method you
      must know the Unicode codepoint number (in hex) of the character you
      want to enter, and 'encoding' must be UTF-8. IMHO it is best suited for
      individual characters for which no digraphs exist.

      2c. Writing your own ad-hoc keymap according to which characters your
      keyboard produces: see http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_make_a_keymap --
      I use this for Russian and Arabic (with two different owncoded keymaps)
      because the existing keymaps are based on mapping the "usual" keyboard
      layouts of these countries over a QWERTY keyboard, and it's less hard on
      my memory to type Latin letters whose sound is similar to that of the
      letter I want to type.

      FIGHTING WORDS

      Say my love is easy had,
      Say I'm bitten raw with pride,