2622Re: Failed to drag&drop-open a file with wide-chars in its filename

  • björn
    Jun 24, 2009
      Hi Eljay,

      2009/6/23 John (Eljay) Love-Jensen:

      >> As far as I can tell (from searching around) HFS+ always uses
      >> normalization form D (NFD) for filenames.
      >
      > HFS+ uses a variant of NFD for filenames.  (The HFS+ variant predates
      > standardizatoin of NFD.)  This requirement is enforced by the OS.
      >
      > http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1150.html
      > http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1150table.html
      > http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1235.html
      > http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr15/

      Thanks for clarifying that (and for the links!).

      > Windows uses NFC for filenames.  I'm not sure if the Linux world settled on
      > NFC or NFK.

      I read that Windows uses NFKC. Have you got a reference for the claim
      that NFC is used?

      >> So as a workaround for the issue the OP had I now normalize filenames
      >> to compatibility form C (NFKC) before passing the filename on to Vim
      >> and this takes care of the OP's problem.
      >
      > NFC or NFKC?  Those are different normalizations.
      >
      > Windows NTFS file system uses NFC.  But it isn't enforced by the OS, yet.

      I did mean the compatibility form NFKC since I read somewhere that
      NTFS uses NFKC, but I did not research that very carefully.

      >> However, as I see it this really is a legitimate issue in Vim itself
      >> in that it does not handle NFD properly (the example above should
      >> always render as one glyph, not three as it does now if NFD is used).
      >> Either Vim should ensure that all buffers are normalized to composed
      >> form NFC/NFKC or it needs to be made "NFD aware".
      >
      > I agree with your assessment.
      >
      >> Does anybody on the vim_multibyte list (this mail goes to vim_mac as
      >> well) have any comments on this?
      >
      > The relevant Mac OS X routine APIs are:
      >
      > CFURLRef url =
      > CFURLCreateWithFileSystemPath(
      >  kCFAllocatorDefault,
      >  cfstringFullPath,
      >  kCFURLPOSIXPathStyle,
      >  false));
      >
      > char bufferUTF8[32768*4]; // Worst case scenario.
      > // As per Apple documentation, paths can be "up to 30,000 UTF-16
      > // encoding units long", with each component being up to 255 UTF-16
      > // encoding units long.  Too bad there isn't an API to specify the
      > // exact buffer size /a priori/.
      >
      > Boolean success =
      > CFURLGetFileSystemRepresentation(
      >  url,
      >  true,
      >  &bufferUTF8[0],
      >  sizeof bufferUTF8);

      Thanks. NSString has a method called fileSystemRepresentation which
      I'm guessing does the same thing(?). I used the NSString method
      precomposedStringWithCompatibilityMapping to convert to NFKC.

      Björn