2620Re: Failed to drag&drop-open a file with wide-chars in its filename

  • Andrew Dunbar
    Jun 23, 2009
      2009/6/23 John (Eljay) Love-Jensen <eljay@...>:

      > Hi Björn,
      >
      >> As far as I can tell (from searching around) HFS+ always uses
      >> normalization form D (NFD) for filenames.
      >
      > HFS+ uses a variant of NFD for filenames.  (The HFS+ variant predates
      > standardizatoin of NFD.)  This requirement is enforced by the OS.
      >
      > http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1150.html
      > http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1150table.html
      > http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1235.html
      > http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr15/
      >
      > Windows uses NFC for filenames.  I'm not sure if the Linux world settled on
      > NFC or NFK.

      When I worked on AbiWord a few years ago Linux left filename encoding
      up to the filesystem and the user. This may have changed since...

      Linux supports many filesystems including Windows and Mac filesystems.
      For filesystems which mandate a specific encoding Linux should follow
      those rules. For older filesystems the encoding would generally be the
      encoding of the OS but... Linux as Unix is a multisuer OS and may have
      various users using various languages in various encodings. Each user
      gets to decide their language and encoding through enviroment
      variables such as LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE etc. These vary by vintage
      of the OS and may well vary for other Unixes too such as FreeBSD.

      I think Linux generally uses extN filesytems as default. When I was
      last working with it that was ext2 but ext3 has now been in use for
      some time and ext4 is the current iteration which may or may not be in
      general release. The ext3 or ext4 filesystems may mandate an encoding
      that ext2 did not.

      The general soltion for the Unix/Linux world may be to honour the
      user's locale settings and assume that the filesystem software will
      convert to any specifically mandated encoding it requires when you
      call the standard open() etc APIs.

      But further research is definitely recommended!

      Andrew Dunbar.

      --
      http://wiktionarydev.leuksman.com http://linguaphile.sf.net