2593Re: Unable to display Hebrew correctly on Mac OS/X

    Mar 24, 2009
      On 24/03/09 12:11, Ron Aaron wrote:

      > I've tried all four 'monospaced' fonts on the Mac, and I get exactly
      > the same results. Each word is drawn in reverse, e.g. it shows as
      > "ABC" instead of "CBA", but the position in the sentence is correct.
      >
      > I find it hard to believe I'm the only person who has seen this
      > behavior on Mac. In any case, I'm certain it must be do to the OS
      > helping out. My OS is: Mac OS X 10.5.5, if that's relevant to the
      > discussion.
      >
      > I'm not too keen to start dissecting the os_macosx.c ...
      >
      > Best,
      > Ron

      Vim doesn't display true-bidi. With a "normal" (non-bidi) terminal, or
      in the GUI, you'll see the contents of each window displayed either all
      RTL or all LTR depending on the setting of the window-local 'rightleft'
      setting. This means that in mixed text you'll either see Latin script
      the right way and Hebrew script reversed, or the opposite -- your
      choice, and you can even have two windows with opposite directionality
      on a single file. I thought you knew all this.

      If you are using Console Vim in a true-bidi terminal, you should ":set
      norightleft termbidi" to tell Vim that the terminal is in charge of
      bidirectionality. Or at least when editing Arabic; I'm not sure how this
      option applies to Hebrew. I'm also not sure how the display of the text
      cursor is affected by this option.

      "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?"
      -- Bertold Brecht